Author Topic: engine choices...  (Read 1900 times)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
engine choices...
« on: Oct 14, 2005, 07:11:09 PM »
well, i may be looking at putting in a new engine in my yellow bucket.  no, i haven't blown up my hybrid, it's a great engine, but just not what this truck needs.  it bellongs in a circle track car or a 2wd truck, not really in my 4x4.  kinda has a dead spot until about 2000RPM then pulls hard straight up to 6k.

thinking about swapping in a V6 of some sort.  most likely carbed.  why?  becuase honestly i never have problems with my carbs offroad, i guess i just don't wheel as hard as a lot of guys.  besides, i like to tinker with them.  it's more of a fun project now, no longer my d/d that i have to stress out and have running so i can get to work the next day(i got a '91 22RE 4x4 for that job now :yupyup: ).

sure, for a mainly trail truck i don't really need V6 power, but honestly, i think it'd be an interesting swap and i've really wanted to build an american engine for a while now.  figure instead of building a V8 powered S10 while my truck rots away, i can reach sort of a compromise here.

so here's 3 engines i've been researching on and off for quite a while...going back to before i decided to put in a 22R for simplicity's sake...

4.3 chevy:
pros - cheap, available everywhere, interchanges with smallblock parts, easy to set up with most any tranny, way more than enough grunt to do anything with a 3100lb truck.
cons - rear distributor, heaviest of the bunch, most likely the hardest on parts.

231 buick:
pros - not too hard to find in a junkyard and not really sought after, relatively lightweight, short, front mounted distributor, very torquey
cons - touchy oiling system, often known for running hot, harder to put a manual tranny behind because of the BOP bellhousing, parts are more expensive

3.1/3.4 chevy:
pros - easy to find(early 90s camaros), plenty of power for my truck, narrow and short, a cheap 38mm weber would be enough carb
cons - rear mounted distributor, exhaust manifolds are supposedly wide(maybe headers fix this issue), parts are sort of expensive but available, no adapter mounts available

honestly so far i think a moderately built(low end cam, roller rockers, edelbrock manifold etc) 3.1 or 3.4 would be a great improvement in torque over a 20/22.  the engine is really short and narrow which helps fit it in my cramped engine bay.  however there's no mounts made for a toyota, but engine mounts are usually not too complicated.  as a bonus, i could run an R150F/R151F behind it using a late model dodge dakota bellhousing.

4.3s10

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Aug '05
  • There's no replacement for displacement
    • View Profile
Re: engine choices...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2005, 07:41:27 PM »
I kinda like the 4.3 swap parts are definitely dirt cheap and i love the low end of it. But i think you would have to go with a diffrent tranny which could kinda be a pain.... would you put a carb on it?

I also like the 3.1 or 3.4 I would personally go with the 3.4 because aren't they the same externally especially if you could use your tranny

1990 s10
4.3 bored out .030
Dynomax cat back
tbi spacer
Flowmaster delta 50
Holley 670
Accel coil
2 add-a-leafs

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: engine choices...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »
with any of the above choices my tranny gets dumped -- it's an L52, which even in marlin's  upgraded version won't hold up to much more power than a well-built 22R.  my first choice would be to run an R series, most likely an R150F as they can be had relatively cheaply, putting an adapter plate on the back of it, and installing a 23 spline input shaft in my transfer case.