Author Topic: ENGINE SWAP: '91 4-Runner 22RE to '86 Pick-up  (Read 3688 times)

morad284

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
ENGINE SWAP: '91 4-Runner 22RE to '86 Pick-up
« on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:12:55 PM »
Does anybody out there know if a 22re engine from a 1991 4-Runner (automatic) will fit directly into a 1986 Pick-up (standard) without any major modifications???  The 1986 Pick-up has a 22re and W56 tranny.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
1st of all :welcome: :wave:

2nd, I do believe it will bolt up you will have some difference in wiring connections that you'll need to sort out, but not a real bigt deal.  I'm not 100% positive, but I'm failry sure it will.  Someone else will chime in here shortly to answer for sure.

3rd.  You posted in the wrong section, this should fall under toyota tech 79-95.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bc81bc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
There is only a couple different plug ins.You will have to use your throttle body cuse the tps is different and maybe the knock sensor has a different plugin too.
The 86 and 91 also have a different cold idle set up.
Its all pretty straight forward though.
One more thing the O2 sensor is just before the cat in the 91 and on your 86 its on the manifold.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2006, 05:42:05 AM by bc81bc »

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
you can use the TB...
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

bc81bc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Yeah thats true you will have to use the 91 TB but the 86 tps sensor.The 86 plenum comes straight out and the 91 is slanted down.

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Take all the EFI components from your '86 and use them on the '91 engine. Nearly everything on the EFI system is slightly different on the two. Almost all the connectors are different, the injectors are different, TPS, knock sensor, cold start injector, and nearly everything else that has wires going to it will have a different connector than your '86. There's a lot of minor varations among various year 22RE EFI systems. It's best if you keep it all one year. Else you will run into problems.

Just swap all of it from your '86 and be done with it. Simple.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

crx-si

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Take all the EFI components from your '86 and use them on the '91 engine. Nearly everything on the EFI system is slightly different on the two. Almost all the connectors are different, the injectors are different, TPS, knock sensor, cold start injector, and nearly everything else that has wires going to it will have a different connector than your '86. There's a lot of minor varations among various year 22RE EFI systems. It's best if you keep it all one year. Else you will run into problems.

That would make it alot easier.

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

alot of people will take newer model intake pens and swap them over to the older engines for an upgrade....if i were you, i'd make the newer engine work just how it is...cut and splice the connectors instead of unbolting the whole intake pen.
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
...cut and splice the connectors instead of unbolting the whole intake pen.

:screwy:Yeah, why would you want to go through the trouble of unbolting the intake when all you have to do is hack your wiring harness? What was I thinking?  :hammerhead:

I don't guess it matters that they use different ohm injectors, or that the wire colors don't match on most of the sensors, or that the ECUs are different.  :dunno:

If you have the parts to do it right, why would you want to do a hack job?
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?