Author Topic: Installing a Weber on a 20R---Follow up  (Read 10257 times)

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
Installing a Weber on a 20R---Follow up
« on: Aug 22, 2005, 04:54:35 AM »
I have a 32/36 Weber that I am going to install on my 1980 20R.

What's the best way to hook up the PCV? The stock carb had the port on the base and the Weber does not.

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2005, 09:21:10 PM by 11 Bravo »
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Installing a Weber on a 20R
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2005, 01:10:26 PM »
I found a port on my intake I'm useing on my 22R. works fine for PVC. butt my brakes are a bit hard now. :dunno:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2005, 02:16:10 PM »
most weber kits required that you lose the EGR valve if you want to keep your PCV.  the reason being that the weber kit has a plate with a fitting that goes on the EGR spot on the manifold, just plug your PCV hose into the fitting.

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:59:26 PM »
most weber kits required that you lose the EGR valve if you want to keep your PCV. the reason being that the weber kit has a plate with a fitting that goes on the EGR spot on the manifold, just plug your PCV hose into the fitting.

Thanks Kyle. I didn't get a kit. I got a pretty good deal on the carb used and bought the adapter stuff from LCE. I will be loosing the EGR one way or another, so I will look at making up a plate with a fitting. I may still go with a Weber manifold before this whole thing is over anyway.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »
the stock 20R manifold cant be beat,  just tap the hole for the egr vacuum port and mount a fitting
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »
i hate those weber adapters, i just found myself an offy c series manifold online.  only thing is that its the older style with no EGR fitting, so i'll have to plumb my own PCV inlet. :hammerhead: it'll be all worth it though, a weber bolts directly on the manifold if you get a spacer(the pad is nice and wide and flat and your accelerator and choke linkage will interfere without a little riser).  no leaks :ladys-man:

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »
i hate those weber adapters, i just found myself an offy c series manifold online. only thing is that its the older style with no EGR fitting, so i'll have to plumb my own PCV inlet. :hammerhead: it'll be all worth it though, a weber bolts directly on the manifold if you get a spacer(the pad is nice and wide and flat and your accelerator and choke linkage will interfere without a little riser). no leaks :ladys-man:

Yup, I was not very impressed with the adapter when I got it. It is a Weber adapter, but it looks a bit crude. I am going to use some fine wet/dry sand paper on a piece of glass to make sure it is flat before I use it. Hopefully it won't leak. If everything works out good with the carb, I guess I could mount up the adapter without gaskets and tig weld around the seams on the inside then smooth it up.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »
if you can tig   get r done
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2005, 08:59:15 PM »
if you can tig get r done

I have a nice Miller Syncro-wave in the garage. Seems I never run out of projects where I can use it. :yupyup:

BTW, thanks for the input on the manifold.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2005, 08:51:54 PM »
I have a nice Miller Syncro-wave in the garage. Seems I never run out of projects where I can use it. :yupyup:

BTW, thanks for the input on the manifold.

me work has one of them i love that thing :love:

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a Weber on a 20R---Follow up
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2005, 09:31:16 PM »
I have been working a ton of overtime lately, but I finally got the Weber install finished up. I used a Carter P4070 electric fuel pump. I did a valve adjustment and an oil change while I was working on it, but nothing else. It still has the same plugs, wires, cap, exhaust and so on. Man, I can't believe the difference. The truck runs like I put a new engine in it.

I will probably start the 5 speed install in the next couple of weeks. I need to help my boy get his front diff put back in and finish up a couple of projects on the house before winter, then it is transmission time.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2005, 01:11:10 PM »
good call on the electric fuel pump.  webers don't like the pulsing from mechanical pumps for some reason, i think that's where they get their bad reputation on our trucks.  i never had a problem with mine on the old 20R, since i've got a factory electric pump.  hoping for similar results on the new, hopped up engine...

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »
i hate those weber adapters, i just found myself an offy c series manifold online. only thing is that its the older style with no EGR fitting, so i'll have to plumb my own PCV inlet. :hammerhead: it'll be all worth it though, a weber bolts directly on the manifold if you get a spacer(the pad is nice and wide and flat and your accelerator and choke linkage will interfere without a little riser). no leaks :ladys-man:

Hey Kyle,

Does your Offy intake manifold have the water hook-ups like a stock one?

Dezertdog

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BajaBug with 20Rmotor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2005, 02:19:06 PM »
Its good to know the progressive works good on the 20R, I happen to have a new one sitting in a box in the garage, I was debating going with the 38 but I think I will give the progressive a try and see what happens...  :biggthumpup:  :beer:
JUST FINISH !!!

11 Bravo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »
Its good to know the progressive works good on the 20R, I happen to have a new one sitting in a box in the garage, I was debating going with the 38 but I think I will give the progressive a try and see what happens... :biggthumpup: :beer:

I think Kyle is right about the electric fuel pump. All the tech stuff I found about the Weber said it does not like fuel surging from a mechanical pump and it does not like fuel pressure over about 4 psi.

This is the pump I used and it seems to work really well. I am running it without a pressure regulator.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=p4070&x=43&y=9&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp