Author Topic: Strange sounds....  (Read 4007 times)

supermat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -105
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
Strange sounds....
« on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:06:49 AM »
My 89 IFS pickup has developed a new problem. I noticed it first in 4 wheel drive but now I get it in 2 as well. In 4 wheel drive when I put it in gear and start to go my front passenger side will make a clunking sound. (I know, very scientific of me). It doesn't do it all the time but does it more often when I'm going uphill. It does it repeatedly with about a 1 sec. interval. (Low 4). When I go faster it does it a little faster. Then yesterday I was driving in 2 going around a corner and it made a horrible grinding sort of a sound. I think it was the same thing only a lot faster. It happens the most when I turn right but occasionally when going left. In 4 it happens left, right, and straight. Its definetely that front right side and I cannot find the problem! Let me know if you've got ideas or a solution.  :help:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Strange sounds....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:14:51 AM »
cut off the IFS and do a SAS :thumbs:

sorry couldnt help it, someone had to say it.

check your axle again, check the inside of your hub, I wonder is one of your brake componnets might be loose ?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »
did you check the birfields, seems like they're going out since it appens more clearly in 4wd, you can get a complete assembly at napa for cheap!
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2005, 02:42:57 PM »
An 89 IFS doesn't have Birfields, but your not far off. I'd check the CV's, and make sure your bearings aren't going out. Could also be brakes, but doesn't really sound like it to me.

I'd pull it apart, and have new bearings ready to put in. Then lube everything up real good, and put it back together and see if it goes away. Check for any signs of wear or breakage as you go. This will also give you the opportunity to check your brakes well, and make sure they are OK.

Grab ahold of the half-axle, and try to wiggle it. Should have some small amount of movement, but not much. Another idea is to pull the axle, and take it for a drive and see if it goes away.

Good luck
Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
An 89 IFS doesn't have Birfields, but your not far off. I'd check the CV's

I don't know how it's called, it looks like a birfield is almost the same thing internally but has a lips for the boots and are smaller then solid axle ones, so i call them birfields cause really, a birfield is a CV joint, so t's the same thing, I'm not talking about the tripod joint here. :angel: 
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

HFCRAOffroading

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 425
  • Member since May '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2005, 04:15:57 PM »
Check your wheel bearings.  It might be getting ready to let loose.

I blew one out an it sounded exactly what you are describing.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2005, 09:12:05 PM by HFCRAOffroading »

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2005, 04:32:55 PM »
I don't know how it's called, it looks like a birfield is almost the same thing internally but has a lips for the boots and are smaller then solid axle ones, so i call them birfields cause really, a birfield is a CV joint, so t's the same thing, I'm not talking about the tripod joint here. :angel:

I'm not sure exactly what it's called either. I know that one of the reasons Toyota went to IFS was to get away from the Birfields, 'cause they are the driveline's weak spot. I think they're called half shafts or something like that.

Not trying to bust ya or anything.

* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2005, 04:42:15 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what it's called either. I know that one of the reasons Toyota went to IFS was to get away from the Birfields, 'cause they are the driveline's weak spot. I think they're called half shafts or something like that.

Not trying to bust ya or anything.

halfshafts are thier name, and they suck too :yupyup:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

supermat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2005, 06:37:59 PM »
Thank you all for your insights. I posted on pirate too and had tons of hits with no useful info. You guys are great!  I'm going to check the wheel bearings tommorrow as a start because that makes the most sense to me.

Matt

HFCRAOffroading

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 425
  • Member since May '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »
Please post what you find is the problem.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:25:27 AM »
I can almost guarantee it's your halfshaft.  I had that same problem with my Honda 2 times, and since the guys say that ur truck has halfshafts, then I am vouching for that.  It can only get worse, and if you keep driving it you may find yourself on the side of the road with your tire at an \ angle.  They're like I'm guessin $65 at an auto parts store, and another $80-ish to get installed...

Good luck!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:32:20 AM »
I can almost guarantee it's your halfshaft.  I had that same problem with my Honda 2 times, and since the guys say that ur truck has halfshafts, then I am vouching for that.  It can only get worse, and if you keep driving it you may find yourself on the side of the road with your tire at an \ angle.  They're like I'm guessin $65 at an auto parts store, and another $80-ish to get installed...

Good luck!

Good thing this is a 4x4 we're talking about, if the halfshaft goes, he'll just be driving i 2wd for a while :thumbs:  4x4 IFS has no support on the halfshaft, so if the axle breaks, the wheel is still completely held on by the A-arms

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »
Good thing this is a 4x4 we're talking about, if the halfshaft goes, he'll just be driving i 2wd for a while :thumbs:  4x4 IFS has no support on the halfshaft, so if the axle breaks, the wheel is still completely held on by the A-arms

Ok good! Then you won't find yourself sittin on the side of the road with your wheel at an \ angle  :gap: It'll just sound like nails on a chalkboard when it does break  :shudder:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKWIDOW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 103
  • Female Posts: 16
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2005, 06:57:32 PM »
My  :twocents:  : CV shafts and/or bearings. Pull the shafts, check the splines. Aftermarket CV shafts comes with boots ready to go. Rack it and do both sides since you are in there. Bearings, seals, lock washers and gaskets, lots o' grease and you should be good to go. With all the glacier silt and water crossings in AK we do hubpacks once maybe twice a year. Not a big fan of Crappa or Schmucks, have aftermarket import supply house here that has good shafts. Back in the 'Real World' when I was at GMC had AC Delco dist(Seattle Automotive Dist) that supplied good shafts also. Don't have a core handy or I'd offer up a brand. Good luck on project if CV's are the prob. :biggthumpup:
Take a deep seat and hang on!

supermat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:40:14 PM »
Thanks all, tore it apart today and bearings seemed to be fine and since I had a spare axle sitting around I threw it in there. I'll drive it tommorrow and let you know if it solved my problems. I appreciate all the help!

Matt

supermat [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »
Hey all,
  Took it out and thrashed it a bit yesterday. Seems to be all better. Thanks to everyone for the insights!

Matt

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:07:06 PM »
 :clap2:  :biggthumpup: