Author Topic: Rav4 Opinions  (Read 4903 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Rav4 Opinions
« on: Jun 05, 2005, 07:47:52 AM »
I just got an email from my sister.
She's an artist living in San Francisco and is looking at getting vehicle.
She want's to get a something small but with cargo space. So with the Rav4, in her words:

(besides the fact that it's really cute) haha "it's a small SUV, so it'd be good for trying to find parking in the city, but it's got enuff cargo space that i'd be able to use it to go to the home depot to get art supplies ... or take two big cats on vacation up the coast ... or transport a small dome to the desert (she does Burning Man)... you get the picture".

So her question which I pose to you all:
"have you heard anything about the Rav4? do you think it's a good all-around vehicle? And/or would you have any other recommendation on a small SUV"

She also asked about 2x4 or 4x4.

In my opinion you could have it and never use it, but if you don't have it and need it, you're sorry you don't have it BUT she doesn't do any offroading, has no experience with it at all, so aside from getting off in the country now and then or off to Burning Man, I can't see that she would have much need for a 4x4 and would only add to the cost of the vehicle. Opinions?

Looking forward to hearing your views.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Rav4 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2005, 08:08:12 AM »
to buy a 2wd suv  is kinda like buying a blowup doll with no , um well you get the picture,     the added cost is very minimal but the value is almost doubled at trade in time,    also i think thelittle rav has the 3RZ

i was looking at one for my mom
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2005, 08:17:01 AM »
javascript:openLink('/vehicles/2005/rav4/specs.html');
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2005, 08:18:43 AM »
Engine 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve EFI 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
161 hp @ 5700 rpm
165 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm
Ignition Electronic, with Toyota Direct Ignition (TDI)
Transmission   
5-speed manual Standard Standard
4-speed electronically controlled automatic with intelligence (ECT-i) Available Available
Body construction Unitized body 
Drivetrain Front engine, front-wheel drive Full-time 4-wheel drive (4WD)
Suspension Independent MacPherson strut front suspension with stabilizer bar and hydraulic shock absorbers; double-wishbone coil-spring rear suspension with stabilizer bar and hydraulic shock absorbers
Steering Power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Turning circle diameter, curb to curb (ft.) 35.4
Brakes Power-assisted ventilated front disc and solid rear disc
4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Includes Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [1]

Please remember, Toyota vehicles are built with popular combinations. Not all options are available separately and some options and accessories may not be available in all regions of the country. So please contact your Toyota dealer, who can help locate the vehicle that’s right for you.
Toyota RAV4s are designed to meet most off-road driving requirements. Abusive use may result in bodily harm or damage. Toyota encourages responsible operation to protect you, your vehicle and the environment.

Some vehicles are shown with available equipment. Seatbelts should be worn at all times. Please do not allow passengers to ride in the cargo area. Towing hitch receivers/ball mount kits are not intended to provide crash protection.

For details on vehicle specifications, standard features and available equipment in your area, contact your Toyota dealer. A vehicle with particular equipment may not be available at the dealership. Ask your Toyota dealer to help locate a specifically equipped vehicle.

All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of posting, is subject to change without notice and pertains specifically to mainland U.S.A. vehicles only (may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and in other regions).

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2005, 08:37:36 AM »
I know one person with a Rav4 that is happy and two people that own Honday Passports and are not at all impressed.  I would get the Toyota ahead of the Honda.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2005, 09:09:55 AM »
Does that Rav4 have a rear bumper, or is that what they intend to use the spare tire for?  I think it's one of those cars that when you get rear ended it blows out the rear glass, causing a couple thousand dollars in damage.  I remember the Ford escape was like that too.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
Never bought a Toyota I didn't like, of course a RAV4 wouldn't be my first choice but if I was looking for a DD I'd get a one over the others since it does have Toyota quality. Maybe she'd want an Scion Xbox, they're ugly and would fit right in, in SF.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2005, 09:22:57 AM »
From a Toyota mechanics standpoint:

The RAV's are really reliable and relatively easy to work on.  The AWD RAV's suck to work on, and in SF she prolly won't need it.  As long as the basic maintenance is done (oil changes, coolant changes, trans fluid changes, Timing belt changes) it'll run forever.

We also just got in our first hybrid Highlander.  The highlander is bigger than the rav, but with the hybrid option it gets great mileage and actually HAULS ASS!  The downside: They're $35K

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2005, 12:12:57 PM »
ShawnB's wife has a Rav4.  Its been a really good rig for her, she's put 120k onit in the last couple years with no major malfunctions at all.  The oil gets changed every 5-8k :smack: but that doesnt seem to bother it.  Im with everyone else if its for driving in SF 4x is a waste.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

shawnb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 140
  • Male Posts: 135
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Haven't seen snow like this here this year :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »
Yhep. We have a 99 rav4 AWD L edition? with 125k on it. Two years ago I towed 2 jetskies down to lake Shasta with a group of motorhomes. It handled every hill from Yakima to California like it was level land and it did not break the bank in gas ( jetskies did ). My wife if horrible at getting the oil changed. So when WT says 5-8k he's not joking.
     We have one baby who's childseat goes in the  middle and in July we will be adding another. She would like a highlander because they have 3rd row seating. I would rather pay off bills.
    Toyota offers a roof rack. More room for you sister to hall stuff.
My mother-in-law also has a rav4 2000. 80k miles.  Neither of us have ever had a mechanic. I would highly recommend the newer rav4's because they are quieter inside and we have enjoyed ours do much.
Now if she would just let me put 33 on it.  :eyebrow:

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2005, 05:23:51 PM »
Had one, wife loved it, leg room on pass side sucked.  Seat is not made for a male butt.  She'll LOVE it.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »
get a 4x4 matrix... the rav4 is old news. they are very nice cars but the matrix is a rav4 with the bugs worked out and more leg room. i love them. i work for an auto auction and cruz around in them all the time to look for cars or hide from the boss.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2005, 09:43:30 PM »
I got a friend who has a Rav4 and she and her husband both love it.  They have been through a lot with it and they are gettin another one so they don't have to share the one they got.

:thumbs: from me  :yesnod:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »
My sister would like to thank everyone for their opinions and would like me to, with her regards, give rocksurfer this  :slap:  for this:
Maybe she'd want an Scion Xbox, they're ugly and would fit right in, in SF.

:rofl:

and rocksurfer I would like to add :spankbutt: that is one BUTT FUGLY vehicle!! MrW says they're made for stacking, not driving!! :rofl2:

she said they have just one Rav4 in northern CA that is the ideal one. Exactly the interior and exterior color she wants, she's opted for 2WD to save gas mileage and $$, and it's just the package she wanted, so she should soon be the proud owner  :driving:  of a brandy new Rav4.

I'll post a pic :snapshot: as soon as I get one from her (you lurking out there sis?)  :sofa:

Thanks everyone  :beerchug: 

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
You know they're made to fit 4 to a pallet, six plallets high. Any more and it will crush the bottom. :rofl2:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2005, 07:07:49 AM »
I am not a real fan of the Scion Xb, I would much prefer the Tc, but if you have actually sat in one they have an amazingly large interior (but ugly beyond comprehension).  For anyone that carpools to get to work and still would like to have room for four adults, this is your car.  I'm sure it gets great gas mileage and I would expect that four guys at least 6'-2" tall would fit fairly easily.

Another surprise is the Mini Cooper, much cooler car, but my friend that is 6'5" fit inside easily and with comfort.  The only other cars at the auto show were the Mazada's and the SUV/trucks.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2005, 10:26:51 AM by gonzo »

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
OK, my sister made her decision...she went with...the Phantom...she said:

"it's something i've wanted for a long time and it just seemed the best option for me right now. mobility for getting around the city, without having a huge finance payment looking over me ..."

and on top of that, we are still keeping the universe in check (my sister and I, a year apart, are complete opposites...we figure the balance of the universe hinges on our keeping ourselves at complete opposite poles, so no worries mates....for now...)

She'll be checking the thread, so lets all congratulate Pani on her new wheels!  :wave:  Cool beans Sis!   :burnout:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »
and now of course... :worthless: so we are going to need pics of you with yer new ride...

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »
Not quite a Rav4 she got is it? Just wait until the first time she gets caught in the trolly tracks. :o  :rofl2:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2005, 05:21:49 PM »
at least she'll be able to pull it out of the mud! :yupyup: She'll certainly look interesting showing up at Burning Man pulling a trailer with it!

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
at least she'll be able to pull it out of the mud! :yupyup: She'll certainly look interesting showing up at Burning Man pulling a trailer with it!
:eyecrazy:

more like a rav1,    a trailer ??   i dont think she could drag a burning man with that  :ack:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »
:rofl: !!! I think it would depend on how big he was to begin with and how much he had burned by that point!

you don't want to mess with my sister! I'm the good one  :angel: 

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 09, 2005, 06:32:24 PM »
 :psss: but don't ask her...cause she'll tell you different...she lies..MrsW :slap: MrsW'sSister

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 10, 2005, 03:28:39 AM »
:rofl2:

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2005, 04:47:23 AM »

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2005, 06:14:57 AM »

Burning Man is a week-long festival with international draw, held annually on the week prior to and including Labor Day weekend in the United States. Its current location is on the playa of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, 120 miles north of Reno. The temporary city (housing 35,000 residents in 2004) is put forth as an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance. The culmination of the event is the burning of a large wooden sculpture of a man on Saturday night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man#History

http://www.burningman.com/

You can use vehicles out there but they have to be themed

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 17, 2005, 06:50:20 PM »
My sisters friend's rig:

:haha:

Where is the Mammoth?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 17, 2005, 06:53:40 PM »
guess its a muskull car ???
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 17, 2005, 07:02:43 PM »
guess its a muskull car ???
:rofl2:

This is a clip from the email:

oh, btw ... my friend howard (tumra) says he'll drive me out to the rube trail ride. i think he wants to
meet you guys. hell, knowing him, he'd probably go on the ride with you ... in his Art Car: "Morbido, the
car of the dead". it's covered with skulls. (gotta watch that universal balance.)

We need this guy on the convoy to the 'con!

Where is the Mammoth?