Author Topic: 1988 4-runner starter 'mystery'?  (Read 2153 times)

akm

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1988 4-runner starter 'mystery'?
« on: May 07, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »
Quote from: akm on December 04, 2004, 09:17:07 pm
1988 4runner needs new cam shaft and couple rocker arms.
Shop says it needs whole new top of block at $2000 (rounded), or only a cam shaft and rockers at $500... but 2nd choice is not reliable.
Am not a mechanic so not sure of the lingo, but hope the question makes some sense.
Any ideas or other suggestions.
Thank you for your help.

Well, we got the cam-shaft thing fixed and all seems ok.
Thanks to all for the opinions, they really helped.
Now for another 4-runner 'mystery' (to us).
My son (he owns/drives the car and we collaborate on the repairing etc) has replaced the starter (first time was a bad starter) a couple of times but it doesnt seem to have resolved the problem of the starter not working (not turning over, no sound at all, like no power to the starter) intermittently.
Is there anything particular about 4-runners of that vintage and starter problems?
If not then we will need to do some more digging.
Any info and/or suggestions for other places to look would be much appreciated.
Thanks again for your help.
akm
----
"Ah, the miracle of computers!"... someone said, "To error is human, but to really screw up takes a computer!"

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 1988 4-runner starter 'mystery'?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 07:24:26 AM »
what size cable goes from the battery to your starter???    is it damaged??   is the small wire to the starter making good connection??   if you replaced the starter did you use  a  underdrive or gear reduction starter??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:03:15 PM »
Check to see if the truck has a clutch start switch.  Not the one on the dash, but the one under the dash next to the clutch pedal.  It may be that it is malfunctioning, or not adjusted properly.  Sometimes, that makes it to where you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to start it.  If its an auto, then maybe a nuetral start switch.

Also, check to make sure you have a ground from the engine to the battery.  Or from the engine to the body to the battery.  As long as the engine is grounded through a cable to the battery.

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:11:03 PM »
replace you batery terminals. I had a stud go bad on me and it did the same thing. The clamp made good clean conection, but the stud was caroding from inside the lead. One day I pulled it off, havn't had trouble since.
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »
Check your ignition relay, I had one get weak on me and would allow it to start sometimes, and I agree on checking the grounds.  I had a problem with mine one time, corrosion got into the cable and where the cables grounded out to were needed cleaning!  I know some vehicles use a aluminum woven ground straps that are bare, no covering for protection, I prefer a coated copper heavy gauge ground straps!  Toyota and nissan uses small gauge wires for the battery straps, I recommend heavier wires to begin with, less resistance.  Another area to look would be the fusible link from the battery, I've seen some start to get weak from age.  They are coated with really soft plastic rubber coating, and they crack real easy with age and heat, allowing corrosion to kill the voltage going through.  I replaced all mine (4 of them) with actual fuses.  Hope this all helps out!!  Keep us posted!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:13:55 PM »
replace you batery terminals. I had a stud go bad on me and it did the same thing. The clamp made good clean conection, but the stud was caroding from inside the lead. One day I pulled it off, havn't had trouble since.
'

Like he said, I had the same issue. Amazing what trouble a little corrosion can cause. Or an old battery.
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.