Author Topic: 1985 4Runner 22RE been sittin’  (Read 748 times)

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
1985 4Runner 22RE been sittin’
« on: Oct 23, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »
So I built me a nice little crawler a few years ago and was just starting to enjoy life. Then I had kids. For the first 5-6 years I’d start the old girl up, drive her around for a bit and then stable her again. Then my house burnt down along with most of the county and half the state. I got the 4 Runner evacuated to less on fire place where she sat for two years.   Now it’s been about 8 years since she was in her prime and 2 years since she last started. She’s got power but when I turn the key, nothing.

Before she was put to pasture, she had intermittent starting issues, particularly after sitting for awhile, but I never addressed them. Now she won’t start at all. I know, I searched the forums for similar issues along with the Starter Sticky. However, my ‘85 22RE doesn’t have a starter solenoid, at least not like every other 22RE I’ve seen (I’ve also got a stock ‘88).

So, what should I do to get this ol’ girl running again and what to do to fix the issue forever? Right now I just need her to start so I can drive her up the hill and into the shop before snow sets in.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 4Runner 22RE been sittin’
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2022, 07:54:46 PM »
What's the condition of the battery, old or new?  Full charge?  How's the battery cables, any corrosion?  Are the battery cables stock?  If yes, get new cables, OEM has exposed wires, and corrosion gets in them and causes issues. 

I had a issue where I could hear the relay click, but nothing at the starter.  Here is my fix.  https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98501.0

I would make a jumper wire, with a push button switch, wire it up to the battery, plug it into the solenoid, put ignition in RUN, gear shift in neutral, and push the clutch start cancel switch, set the ebrake, and go out and push the button to see if it starts.  If it does, then its in your ignition system. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BAMF [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2022, 10:01:12 PM »
Battery is a brand new Optima Yellow Top. The battery cables and grounds were upgraded years ago. I checked and cleaned all the terminals and connections.  This 4Runner never had a clutch safety switch nor does it have a clutch bypass. The 1985 22RE (my truck was actually built in late 1984 but is considered a 1985) has some things different from most 22RE, including not having a starter solenoid.  Am I wrong about this? I haven’t really done much with any 22RE in almost a decade and I’ve forgotten a lot of my knowledge. Hell, I couldn’t remember what half of the mods I made to it years ago.

I’ll be looking through your fix later.

Edit: yeah, I looked through your fix earlier today, including the link to YotaTech. Again, I have no starter solenoid.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
You have a starter solenoid (its on the starter) and it can be jumped.
You may not have a starter relay. You can buy or make one like this https://lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-samurai-clicky-starter-relay-upgrade-kit.html. There are many write ups out there on how to do it.
I put a 20R, toy trans, etc. into a samurai and with out a relay, it only sometimes could manage to turn the engine over. It just always acted like the battery was dead. I added a relay and now it turns over and fires strong. My 84 22R doesn't have a starter relay and it turns over a little slower than most. Been thinking It could probably benefit from adding a relay.

I would do what Cheesemaker suggested. Make sure all wires/connections are good and jump the starter. If the starter wont turn then it's dead. If it does, check the start wire at the starter and go from there.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
Continuity test wires. If it's been sitting for extended period of time. May be a rodent break in wire. Most parts stores will test your starter for you.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.