Author Topic: 81 22R carb issues  (Read 3188 times)

ky-homelite

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
Re: 81 22R carb issues
« on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Well, I messed with it a little over the weekend. I used a can or two of carb cleaner and cleaned all the linkage the best I could and then sprayed WD40 all over to make sure it was lubed up good. I don't think the WD40 is a very good lube, but seems to do the job at present time. What can anyone suggest to keep things lubed up well in the carb linkage? Then I undertook the process of trying to replace all the vacuum hoses around the carb. Wow, 15 or so feet of hose later, I have it running pretty good! I also lubed the accelerator cable the best I could. I squirted WD40 in both ends and worked the pedal back and forth trying to get the WD40 up in the cable to help with lubrication. First thing of a morning I can go out, pump the pedal 5 or 6 times and she fires right up! I let it idle a bit and tap the gas pedal and the idle settles right down. Prior to the idle racing out of control, I dumped 4 or 5 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas tank. I'm wondering if that didn't have something to do with my idle speed going haywire? Maybe it broke something loose and plugged a small passage in the carb?

Once I got it running pretty well, I took it down to the gas station and poured in a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool into the gas tank prior to filling it up. I took it out on the highway and got up to 60 mph and stomped it! At about 70 or 75 mph, it felt like the carb was blocked or something. It kind of shuddered, but then took back off gaining more speed. I did several attempts at slowing down to 55 or 60 mph and flooring it getting up to 85 mph or so. I guess my train of thought was to blow out the cobwebs! All I know is, now when I'm cruising down the road at 60, and I hit the gas she takes right off and goes like crazy! Not to mention, the main thing I was trying to fix was the racing engine at idle, which is all gone too! By the skin of my teeth, I think I have narrowly escaped taking apart the carb for a rebuild right now! Thanks for the help gentlemen! I'm sure I'll be around asking more questions!