Author Topic: New Math in school  (Read 4887 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: New Math in school
« on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
What, make it easy to pass? That would not be what we are all about. I've always wondered why they have to do things like this, I've always thought that the things that you'd need in everyday life should be taught before getting into advanced stuff. I see the stuff (crap) being pushed on students and wonder why and what good is that going to do in the real world. I understand that they are trying to prepare everyone to attend college but in doing this I think they are raising the drop-out rate for those that have no intention of going. I believe there should be several choices on schooling, unfortunately most of the curriculum is aimed at going to college not the other avenues that people may take. I think the only reason that kids think they must go to college to succeed is because it is pumped into their heads from kindergarten. Not everyone is headed for that. In fact I personally don't think that the standard of you must have a hs diploma or you are worthless is a standard to live by either. There should be other acceptable diploma's that apply depending on the job you want in life. Let's say you decide that you want to be a automotive technician as an example, what do you really need from hs to achieve this goal? That's what should be taken into account in determining what classes you should have to take in hs. Sure there are classes you should have to take just for the knowledge but there are a lot of classes that are worthless for that person to succeed. Look at what is required in CA Some make sense but others don't. I also feel that there should be a test (and there is) to exit hs early as long as you can pass that test. Then you can attend a vocational school still paid for with the taxpayers money (the money that would have been spent on that kid anyways) that would prepare a student for the real world.

Here's CA's requirements to pass:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrtable.asp
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you