Author Topic: New Math in school  (Read 4883 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: New Math in school
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:54:44 AM »
...I don't remember doing some of this stuff till I was in college...

This in interesting to me because I was taking math in high school that was more advanced than what is required to graduate college now.  I think that math is getting  dumbed down and the higher levels because we want everyone to succeed.  This may be why many professions are now starting to require a Masters or PHD for the working level.  We are starting to cram 4 years of education into 6.

:twocents:

I have always figured that when people refer to math as "math" rather than by a specific name such as Algebra, Calculus or Ordinary Differential Equations they are probably not taking anything beyond the basics that I learned as a freshman or sophomore in high school.  I realize that not everyone, or every degree, needs to know the same level of math.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Re: New Math in school
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »
I had to complete integral calculus, which was a PITA. Granted, I didn't do well in math in High School. I was too busy chasing skirts and drinking beer. When I returned to college several years later, I started out at "dummy math", which was basic addition, subtraction etc, then took math every single semester/quarter (2 different schools on different systems) until I completed IC. Some I took and failed in HS, but again, wasn't interested at that point. It really builds one on the other, and when you can take it continuously, without significant breaks, it actually is easier, because you never get "out of the habit" of doing math. I now find that I'm using stuff I'd forgotten on a frequent basis.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!