Author Topic: Dana 44 axle help  (Read 13162 times)

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Dana 44 axle help
« on: Apr 30, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
Thanks for your help,

I don't plan to beat this thing like the Mammoth, but would like to be setup so I don't start the Jeep thing.

I just ordered 4.27:1 Yukon gears and Detroit True Trac carriers. I plan on running 33" MTR's so it has good road manners.

Harbor Freight you say :gap:

I think I am going use the stock axles for now, but use a better Ujoint. Is there a good chromoly joint that won't break the bank?

I have a spare set of stub axles on the way. :thumbs:

Oh, and I may have to retube the front axle due to road salt poisoning. What would be a good caster angle?

For u-joints just buy Bobby's and be done. I made a set of joints using spicer 297s and bronze bushing in place of the the needle bearings and full circle snap rings that lasted thru several broken axles ( I gave them away and they are still going strong on a well used CJ-7). Seems the needles crush and let the cap wooble which breaks the ears of the axle. You will need to machine the snap ring flat and bit further into the yoke to fit full circle snap rings, But I think you know a guy. :biggthumpup:

Between 3* and 6* is a good ball park for the caster and bee carefull with camber. the inners can ba a couple * off and you will not see it till the wheels are on. Ask me how I know. :gap:

As Wilson said you would be better off swaping out the outers as IH used the WEEK 27 spline outers striaght off the CJ d30. D44 outers are 19 spline and the Fords will be a bit longer than the GM stuff. In a pinch you can use a GM in a ford to get home but not the other way around. Way more options availble for the chevy stuff.

Good luck
wayne