Author Topic: Finally got a diesel Tow rig  (Read 3663 times)

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got a diesel Tow rig
« on: Jul 08, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »
Yeah I was scared of burning things up till I can get guages to monitor it all. 
How does yours pull the cruiser?  I have a brake controller to install into mine to help stop heavy loads.  Other than that any mods you would suggest?  I want to keep it reliable so I am not going to go stupid with turning it up or anything.  Getting stupid is what I am building the cruiser for. 

Hows the Rockwell's coming freds40?

Mine does pretty good dragging the Cruiser around. I had 3.54s in it originaly and with the 295s, big injectors, and big turbo, I had to run 60 up hill to keep the turbo happy. The truck will do it no problem but the problem arose when I was doing 60 up hill and had to turn while trying to maintain momentum. Any way, I recently threw 4.10s in and I'll have my first tow test next weekend of a buddy's rig. We'll see how it goes.

For towing with your truck, main things to do is guages and a brake controller. If you are towing a rig on a trailer with out many if any mods, you are usually "safe" without guages for a bit as with light mods, you usually don't make things too angry on the truck. Sounds like your tranny is all set which is another area to look @ on these trucks. Last one isn't a necessity but makes it nice is an exhaust brake. On autos, they tend to roll a bit more than a manual truck so an exhaust brake takes some of the wear away from the truck and trailers service brakes on long down grades.

The Cruiser is coming along. TH efront suspension is just about buttoned up ant then it's on to the rear. Not a lot of work to do but 2 kids (3yrs. and 4 mos) definately limit the available work time. No biggie, my 3 yr. old is just ready to wheel and camp so that helps my cause a bit.
"between projects"