Author Topic: Shakes and rattles  (Read 2788 times)

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: Shakes and rattles
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
SACD_Runner:  a couple of other things (sorry i got distracted with the other stuff)
yes everything in the front stays still when your hubs are unlocked.  
my truck actually does the same thing when i let off the gas (and mostly in 4th and 5th gear), but it is just a grinding/growling noise, no shakes.  mine is definately the tranny (which is the stocker and has over 350k miles on it) but it doesn't give me any other problems besides the noise.  so yours may be the same thing.  
did you just do the gears in the rear too?  if so, then your problem might be that the gears are not installed properly.  make sure your backlash, heel-toe position, and face-flank positions are all set correctly.  i don't know the specs off hand, but i'm sure you can find them in a manual or something.  it sounds like yours is the tranny though, just like me.  
toyrunner87's problem might be the tranny too!  but the reason i strayed from that (for both of you) is because mine doesn't cause the steering wheel to saw, or effect anything else, just produces noise.

I appreciate that info, i have a feeling the noise is my tranny which is like you said 4th and 5th ( but the funny thing is that it happens when clutch is depressed too..) but the sawing of the wheel im pretty sure is an out of balance wheel, weekend b4 last the rock garden played havok on me. The gears have been checked twice. the first time the pinion was set a little too deep but nothing to worry about so we pulled it all apart and pulled a shim so im almost positive its fine.

My only  worry was all of this began right after I had new brakes/calipers/pads/filled up birf housings. so i just want to make sure these noises couldnt be under my warranty. :)
Starting from scratch again...