We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Massive Marlin Crawler parts comparison!!!  (Read 117423 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Prices?
« on: Jun 29, 2004, 08:13:31 PM »
lets not be mean to marlin now
Please be mean - lets get the facts right out!

Inchworm's kit is cheaper to produce than ours for the following two reasons:
1: They use a stock 8 ball bearing mainshaft bearing for the output shaft.
2: They use a stock mainshaft that is cut in half, drilled out, and then splined. This is cheap and weaker than stock because they do not reheat-treat the shaft. They just modify the existing stock mainshaft and convert it into an output shaft.

For Marlin's Adapters, and I mean all of them, from the MC07 all the way up to the V8 Tundra MC09,
1: We use a Maximum service double-roller 32-ball bearing mainshaft bearing for the output shaft.
2: We use a complete NEW aftermarket Heat treated output shaft coupler.

Comparisons:
Inchworm's Mainshaft bearing:Marlin Crawler's Mainshaft bearing:
Ball Count:832
Static Load Rating:5,850 lbs11,600 lbs
Dynamic Load Rating:11,400 lbs14,600 lbs
Bearing Width:23mm30mm
Largest Spline Size:21-spline Only21- or 23-spline available
Heat Treated Coupler:NoYes

- Our bearing is 98% stronger under static loads and 63% stronger over all.
- Because our bearing is 7mm (just over 1/4") wider, the output shaft is supported better than the stock factory mainshaft bearing (used in the Inchworm) and out of the 1,600+ units sold, we have NEVER had any couplers come back worn out or stripped. The problem with narrower bearings, especially like the 11mm narrower bearing used in the old MC05 (Now A/A Crawler), is that the coupler is not supported well and it teeters sideways and wears out both the splines on the input and the coupler's OD size. :ack:
- Because the stock mainshaft's physical size is inherit (it already exists), a 23-Spline outer dimensions is too large to use inside of a modified stock mainshaft converted as an output shaft. Do you follow me? Basically, Inchworm is ONLY available as a 21-spline as long as they continue to modify the stock mainshaft and produce a weaker modified output shaft. They have made a custom 23-spline modified output shaft but it failed the first time out because the wall was just too thin. This is not a secret, its open public knowledge :redface:

We have countless Big block V8s, 350s, V6s, Vortecs, Supercharged 3.4L setups in Tacomas, 4Runners, and T100s, and a 4.7L V8 Tundra - all using Marlin Crawler Adapters with our Double Roller Bearing and heat treated output shaft. Inchworm can not make these claims and never will until they do something about their products.

But of course your rig is a 21-spline so this does not apply to you, so maybe you are willing to save a few bucks. But we actually have two broken output shafts from Inchworm in stock (in our Trophy area) that are from a customer who towed his rig and another who carried in broken parts to have it upgraded to a Marlin Crawler. This is also open public knowledge :redface: So Its not that I am trying to hide something or bend the truth to prove the differences of the two units... these are facts. Their have been many accounts of failed Inchworms / A/A / Jeep eater, but we are still waiting for the first failed MC07 Double roller bearing design. :_order:

It is no secret that because you are paying for a product that is priced less, it is of lesser quality. The Inchworm is a great unit that works just the same as a Marlin Crawler, but the draw backs are that it uses a factory mainshaft bearing that is only 23mm wide and it uses an output shaft that is weaker then the mainshaft in your t/case right now. So the probability of a couple shaft or input gear failure is extremely greater with the Inchworm and we are still waiting for our first one out of 1600+ to fail..

So, that's where the $89 comes from. For most people the extra $89 is insurance that it will never fail when out on the trail for many many years to come.

As for the A/A 5.0:1 Gears, which are actually 4.97:1 (not 5.0:1), WT is correct. I have some pictures I could dig up for you if your interested and I did a write up on the pirates along time ago that got deleted as far as I can tell, I cant find my post any longer...

But the bad thing about any non-Marlin Crawler gears is that they do not have the Total Spline Technology. I am not trying to praise Marlin Crawler, its just a simple fact that Marlin Crawler is the only company that I know who uses the Total Spline Technology. Because of this, we have had ZERO input failures. More spline contact = less wear + longer life + increased torque rating.
As for the teeth, A/A's gear cutter just simply took one of our old discontinued 4.70:1 gear set (our old style gears) and added a tooth to both the input and the low speed gear. The outer dimensions of course are the same size as the 4.70:1 gear set (the case can't be milled any more than it already is) so how did they add those two extra teeth? Yup, by making every other tooth skinner, narrower, and smaller.

So I warn people when ever they ask questions about the shady 5.0:1 (4.97:1) gear sets. It sounds to us that A/A just wanted to have something lower then us and we could care less. And seeing how weak those 5.0:1 gears are, I personally would NEVER use them because we have had a couple old style 4.70:1 gear sets fail on the same low speed gear as the 5.0:1. And if the 5.0:1 is weaker, then sheesh, I would have to carry a spare 2.28:1 gears with me no matter what trail I took..

When you consider the facts that our new 4.70:1 gears are made in Japan by Toyota's Gear Cutter (yes the same company who made the 2.28:1 gears), better metal, better design, and the Total Spline Technology, it just seems like a no brainer as to what gear set to choose.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006, 05:11:56 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki