Author Topic: Got cancer, started my exocage  (Read 11662 times)

TheBandit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 174
  • Member since Jan '06
  • MS in BS
    • View Profile
    • www.xtremefabricator.com
Re: Got cancer, started my exocage
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »
:thumbs:
The exo looks great.  8) I am planning to start exo my soon. The only area that might be of concern is the A pillar tube into the fender tube and not the frame. :dunno:  From an engineering standpoint, is there much if any difference between connecting at the fender tube then to the frame versus a a single tube to the frame. :dunno:

Thanks Shoyrtt. One of the big disadvantages to doing an exo cage is that it's difficult to tie it into the frame. Tying into the fender bars is not ideal, but it should be strong enough to survive a flop. When I build shock hoops, I will tie the fender bars into them to help stiffen things up.

My wife was diagnosed last year at 36 with thyroid cancer. After a small surgery, she is doing great! :crossed: I was so impressed with the advances in medical treatment. Keep a positive attitude and you can beat it. :)

Congratulations and best wishes on your wife's recovery. :) It is incredible what they (doctors) can do now. People like us can have hope thanks to all the breakthroughs in medicine.

Just finished the front part of mine too.  The wet towel Idea I used for the last part after reading your post.  Why do you not recommend?  I thought it worked great!

Usually it works fine, but I have caught a few towels on fire doing this in the past. Soaking them in water doesn't always do the trick especially if they were previously used on grease or something flamable. I think I am going to get a proper welding blanket for future use.

I ran out of tube before I got the tube across the cowl that's why it's not painted and the rest is.  The rest was done a couple weeks ago and I been waiting on fundage to get more tube.  Now I'm waiting on better weather :tantrum:

Looks great Mike. Nice work.

The welds on yours do look a little cold though.  Mine have heat discoloration a long way from the welds.  I don't think it will be a big issue since I've seen what a good notch and just a couple tack welds are capable of when trying to get mine apart :maddest: :mad: :gap:

I am using a 110v MIG turned all the way up. I put it on eleven (spinal tap reference) but it only gets so hot. Having welded a few other things with a 110v MIG, I am confident these will hold just fine.

Reading about you designing a bender over on Pirate is the first time I ever even thought about bending tube in my life.

First time for me too! I hope you liked the buildup. I am really enjoying the machine now that it's working.

Stay positive and you will be fine.  You're way too young for that stuff to take hold.  Aggressive chemo kicks a$$ and when you're young and in good shape they can be very aggressive.  You will be fine in a couple months. :thumbs:

Thanks! I will keep on top of this, whatever it takes.

Its looken sweet man

Thanks! :)