Author Topic: Question about schooling  (Read 6731 times)

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
Re: Question about schooling
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Hey, look at it this way...at least you don't want to be a specialized cosmetic plastic surgeon. Oh wait, that's me...I get discouraged sometimes because it seems that not only I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, but also it is almost like there is no light at the end of the tunnel! I know that this is not the case though. You just have to keep your head up. I have another ten years of schooling minimum for something that I really think I want to do. Some people think I am crazy. They say, "How do you know you want to do that?" I just tell them that that is something I have chosen and I am pursuing it full-bore. Most medical doctors are around 30 years old when they graduate from medical school and most go back to specialize in a particular field. Others in college graduate two or three times by the time a doctor gets to practicing. Not to mention, as a practicing physician, one must constantly be concurrent with the latest research to stay on top of his or her field. I just look at my education and say, " I am not going anywhere anyway, so, what the hell!" It is all about what you do with your time...everybody has the same amount of time, but what is important is what you do with your time. Some take advantage of opportunity and some do not. Look forward. I mean, the only real expenditures that I have are in off-roading and photography. I am still able to do what I love and not only fully satisfy the qualifications and requirements for medical school and graduating, but excel in my studies. Fortunately for me, UAB is one of the best medical schools to attend in the US. I am plan on taking full advantage of that. My recommendation to you is that you find something you like or have interest in, research what would get you there, and do it!  I could easily go to work full-time for someone and make enough money to support my lifestyle, but my goals are to help others on the way. I am a very self-less, or should I say, altruistic person and I enjoy helping others in any way I can, but I want to take it to the next level by being a doctor. You just never know. I might get to that point of being a practicing physician and say, "I am tired of this," and decide to do something else. That is a rarity among doctors, but it has happened. A close friend of mine went through medical school thinking he was going to be wealthy and happy and this is not the case for him at all. he went in for superficial monetary reasons and he is the most unhappy person I know. He will soon be exploring new avenues. They may still be in the medical field, but he will be much happier. The point is, pick something you have interest in and go for it! At least you will have learned something along the way and have a paper trail people can follow. Oh, and do some wheelin' along the way!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com