Author Topic: Do You Support Home Schooling ?  (Read 13814 times)

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
Do You Support Home Schooling ?
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »
Either way you feel  please go here:

http://www.kmj580.com/?pollId=179&step=VOTE_POLL_179

And Vote.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Support Home Schooling ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
  Ummm Sean Hannity is an idiot that constantly interrupts his guests. Not to mention his fake liberal counterpart squirrelmouth Combs.  I'd rather watch the Factor....
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »
Hannity is alright, I like Andrew Wilkow and Mike Church better.  Mark Levin is good too. 

When the time comes our kids will be either home schooled or be in private school.  No indoctrination of my kids will happen like the liberals tried to do to me when I was in school.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
 Home school is a nice idea but it seems hard for kids to make friends if they're at home all day. A private or charter school is good an option, they usually have smaller classes and dedicated teachers.
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:34:12 PM »
Yup, seems most home schooled kids have a hard time adjusting once they are older.  We had a lot of home schooled kids that transfered in in high school.  If we did that I'd transfer them in before middle school so they'd get a GOOD solid basis to learn and build upon. 

Private and charter schools are a good idea too.  I sure wish we could bypass our local school bond taxes if we didn't have a child in public school....  That'd help pay for private school.  8)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
I've never been a fan of home schooling, but I do see your point WT.  

Home school is a nice idea but it seems hard for kids to make friends if they're at home all day. A private or charter school is good an option, they usually have smaller classes and dedicated teachers.

:yesnod:  I know quite a few homeschoolers, and several of them went off the deep end once they went to college.  They were so sheltered and protected that once they hit the real world, they didn't know how to deal with it.  Even the most normal ones had a difficult time, due to their lack of social interaction.  
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BirdDog [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »

Private and charter schools are a good idea too.  I sure wish we could bypass our local school bond taxes if we didn't have a child in public school....  That'd help pay for private school.  8)

I couldn't agree more

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
I couldn't agree more

Just wait till I run for president in '16.....   :thumbs:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
The poll was closed...I've been disenfranchised, I'm going to sue!

Is it the fault of homeschoolers that it shocks people when they enter this warped society?

The worst thing that ever happened to education is the feds and the unions getting in the act.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
In a word, No.  But one thing I don't think the home schooling parents take into account is there needs to be some preparedness for them to go from a nice sheltered home life to the big bad world.  Its the shock factor that gets them.  In my high school the girls that grew up being beat over the head with a bible and sheltered in church were usually the first ones to get an pop out a child or get an abortion from making a horny mistake....   Same type of deal IMO.....

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »
In a word, No.  But one thing I don't think the home schooling parents take into account is there needs to be some preparedness for them to go from a nice sheltered home life to the big bad world.  Its the shock factor that gets them.  In my high school the girls that grew up being beat over the head with a bible and sheltered in church were usually the first ones to get an pop out a child or get an abortion from making a horny mistake....   Same type of deal IMO.....

Catholic school?

I doubt the rate of b*std births are higher than in public schools.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:10 PM »
No I'm talking about public school.  The girls that grew up being told sex was dirty or bad were the first ones to give it a go most of the time.....  You always want what you can't have.  Especially when others are there telling you how good it is... 

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
No I'm talking about public school.  The girls that grew up being told sex was dirty or bad were the first ones to give it a go most of the time.....  You always want what you can't have.  Especially when others are there telling you how good it is... 

Wow, where did you grow up? You're, if you didn't lie in your profile, way younger than me and I was in the last generation that actually prayed in school.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »
Eastern WA and no I don't lie in my stats.  I'm 31 this fall.

They stopped giving "hacks" a couple years before I entered school.  We still did the pledge of allegiance and were allowed to pray in school.  Well grade school at least....

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
 If people want to "pray" in school then they should attend some religious school or join a religious cult.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »
If people want to "pray" in school then they should attend some religious school or join a religious cult.

This country was founded on a basis of religious freedom (In God We Trust), which I realize give people the opportunity to opt out, so I'm not sure what the problem with prayer in school is.  I can understand not having Bible classes that are required or requiring prayer to be apart of the classroom, but if it's part of a teachers personal beliefs then that is another part of an overall education.  I think that science teachers in the public system should be able to teach based on creation and/or evolution, why put the kids into a limiting box? 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »

I think just the opposite...if people don't want to pray in school they don't have to, if it offends them that some pray...they need to go to an agnostic school. This makes the case for school choice as clearly as anything else I've heard.

Why do you put pray in quotes?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:15:51 PM »
I think just the opposite...if people don't want to pray in school they don't have to, if it offends them that some pray...they need to go to an agnostic school. This makes the case for school choice as clearly as anything else I've heard.

Well put, I think the aproach of avoiding anything that may "offend" others is a huge problem, if one kid wants to pray whats wronge with that.  I dont think kids should be forced to pray, but likewise I think it ignorant to stop those who wish too.  Instead of promoting political corectness maybe they should promote tolerance and understanding...

The whole thing they do to protect the rights of some kids is extremely hypocritical since often they take away the rights of others to facilitate it! 

I dont think the average american parent has the knowledge or dedication to give a homeschooled child a well rounded education, and prepare them for their inevitable entry into the world!  I have known very few that do well in society after homeschool.
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

Well put, I think the aproach of avoiding anything that may "offend" others is a huge problem, if one kid wants to pray whats wronge with that.  I dont think kids should be forced to pray, but likewise I think it ignorant to stop those who wish too.  Instead of promoting political corectness maybe they should promote tolerance and understanding...

Political correctness is the most basic form of censorship there is…it has almost succeeded in shutting down open discussion.

I dont think the average american parent has the knowledge or dedication to give a homeschooled child a well rounded education, and prepare them for their inevitable entry into the world!  I have known very few that do well in society after homeschool.

I don’t think the average student in public schools gets a well rounded education from the professional teachers, by any stretch of the imagination. America was once ranked among the best educated countries in the world…that is no longer the case.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
Political correctness is the most basic form of censorship there is…it has almost succeeded in shutting down open discussion.

I don’t think the average student in public schools gets a well rounded education from the professional teachers, by any stretch of the imagination. America was once ranked among the best educated countries in the world…that is no longer the case.

To a certain degree I can agree with that however doesnt seem to be the case in my life.  Here I am after 6 years of college and time and time again I have found myself gratefull for the dedicated and caring teachers I have had in public schooling.  There are so many things that have stuck with me and have provided a good foundation for the things I am learning now. So to any of you that may teach I offer my thanks. That being said, not all teachers are as passionate as some that I have had, and not all school systems have the kind of contact with the students as the less populated places like montana...
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

LOckEdSolidTOy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
As someone who just graduated last year  :beerchug: and am going to the naval academy( not to brag but to give perspective) i graduated from a public school and had a great experience that i don;t think Home school (which IMHO is not healthy)  or even private school can really match. Public school is all about what you put into it if you work hard take challenging classes and get involved in Xtra curric. you get a lot, i had to do all of the above to get an appointment and i had an excellent experience and a solid education. Also it really comes down to parents and if their going to support and guide their children, parents have to be involved. :twocents:
Nor Cal, just livin it & keepin it real

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
To a certain degree I can agree with that however doesnt seem to be the case in my life.  Here I am after 6 years of college and time and time again I have found myself gratefull for the dedicated and caring teachers I have had in public schooling.  There are so many things that have stuck with me and have provided a good foundation for the things I am learning now. So to any of you that may teach I offer my thanks. That being said, not all teachers are as passionate as some that I have had, and not all school systems have the kind of contact with the students as the less populated places like montana...

As someone who just graduated last year  :beerchug: and am going to the naval academy( not to brag but to give perspective) i graduated from a public school and had a great experience that i don;t think Home school (which IMHO is not healthy)  or even private school can really match. Public school is all about what you put into it if you work hard take challenging classes and get involved in Xtra curric. you get a lot, i had to do all of the above to get an appointment and i had an excellent experience and a solid education. Also it really comes down to parents and if their going to support and guide their children, parents have to be involved. :twocents:

Maybe it's the schools here in Az...but, I suspect you two are the exception, rather than the rule. Schools and parents are both different now than back in the long ago, but having seen my daughter through school I know they're not nearly as focused as when I went to school.

Congratulations on your appointment to the academy.  :usa:  And you should brag!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »
I was very lucky to have been born and raised in an area with a historically high ranking public school system. That being said, I was also fortunate to have been placed in a private (church based) school for the first 4 years of my education (primer -3 y.o., K, 1st, and 2nd). The teachers in the private school, over all, were more concerned that you learned the material, than the teachers in the public system. Also, the teachers in the private schools did not tolerate disruptive behavior, and were allowed (within reason) to maintain order in the classroom. in the rest of my education, I had a few teachers who would go beyond what they HAD to do, and would make sure you understood the material, but they were few. Luckily, I was one of the students who picked up the subject matter easily.

and to answer the question, yes I do support home schooling, or whatever method gives the child the best education. Home schooling executed correctly, does NOT avoid social interaction with other kids. Check out the reccommendations of any home-school curriculum supplier, and you will see that they encourage participation in community sports or other social activities.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
and to answer the question, yes I do support home schooling, or whatever method gives the child the best education. Home schooling executed correctly, does NOT avoid social interaction with other kids. Check out the reccommendations of any home-school curriculum supplier, and you will see that they encourage participation in community sports or other social activities.

They do, to a certain point.  Where I went to high school, I had several friends that I knew through church, that were homeschooled.  They had their homeschool group, which was great, one parent would teach something, another would teach something else, etc.  They did many extracurricular activities, and did indeed participate in some sports programs. 

However, in many areas, the community sports programs tend to dissappear as a kid reaches the high school age, due to the encouragement to participate in HS sports.  I've lived in several different states, and they all seemed to be the same way.  Pop Warner football led into HS football, there was a gap between little league, and mens softball, where if yo uwanted to play, it was pretty much expected that you'd play on a HS team, etc.  And of course, you are talking about a whole different ball game.  Most community sports leagues are more for fun, whereas in HS, it tends to be a bit more competitive, you usually have bigger fans, potential to be scouted after HS, etc.  All of these I think are good things.

Another disadvantage is that the home school groups, while participating in their extracurricular activities, usually only interact with each other, or other similarly minded home school groups.  I don't believe you can have a well adjusted social learning experience if you are solely surrounded by others of the same mindset.  IMO, you need the challenge of getting along with someone of a different financial, social, and religious background.  There are obstacles and issues that arise, and that will continue to arise, throughout school an in adulthood.  I have seen very few homeschoolers deal with these issues very well. 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »
I was home schooled and i graduated high school 2 yrs before my friends and the local high school let me play sports and i am also smarter than most
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
I was home schooled and i graduated high school 2 yrs before my friends and the local high school let me play sports and i am also smarter than most

I forgot...the Arizona Sec. of Education is trying, or has by now, succeeded in holding back all home schools, charter and magnet schools...because they were ahead of the local school districts.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Sounds about right. Others are doing it better than the public system, so punish them, so that the public system doesn't look as bad.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »
 There's a little something called "separation of church and state",  tax money is being spent for every minute a child is in public school. This time should not be allotted for religious activities. If parents want their children schooled on religion they should read the bible and pray at home and or attend sunday school.
Whats next?  Would you want people bowing down to bless Mohamed ten times a day in public school? I know I wouldn't.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
Wanna hear a funny?  My wife is a teacher and the schools are so screwed up that we homeschool our kids!!!   :rofl:

And before you give me any crap about it, my kids are NOT socially deprived.  In fact they do more than most kids who get out of school and sit in front of a video game 'til bedtime because their folks don't care enough to see what is happening or just too lazy to care.  My kids are all way ahead of their age groups and constantly ask why other people are so slow (read STUPID).  They kick butt on the other kids in sports too.  My boys are all scouts and at the head of their respective troops and dens.  My 12 year old daughter even tied for first place in the local bake-off against adults with many years of experience.

And HOLY COW you should see them ride motorcycles, drive my 4 wheel drives, ride my PWCs, and even thrash on my snowmobiles.  

I case you can't tell I'm the proud full-time father of 6, yes, you read that right, SIX great kids that all homeschool with myself and my wife as their real life instructors.  We don't send them off to a system so we can focus on ourselves and having a better car or bigger house than the neighbor...

Seperation of Church and State?  Interesting spin being put on that one.  The constitutional rights allow us to CHOOSE our religion WITHOUT being told by the government.  Why should the 7-12% of this country that don't believe in God be telling the majority what they can and can't do?  If you left wingers tell us we can't pray in school that would be an example of government interfering in our religious rights.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile