Author Topic: 4RnrRick is getting a 7M-GE / 7MGE Motor swap  (Read 133391 times)

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I just heard that there is a photo of my 7M swap into my 85 4runner in the "motor swap section" of the Nov/Dec '05 issue of the 4WD Toyota Owners magazine....

So of course I had to order a copy of it to check it out..... I think this
is the photo that was used.

I didn't write the article - I just was asked to submit a photo to the writter. So we will see what it says....

Last weekend I also got a chance to play in the snow. If you haven't see the video, here it is.... 3:30 mins ~9MB
http://www.rcpics.net/img/68310

The 3rd motor has been running good and I think the gas mileage is still simliar to the first motor (13 mpg) although it might be a tad better but I have still yet to have a good long distance road test to know for sure.

But I'm still having occasion overheating issues when I'm at high rpms and low speeds. So I've decided to add a hood vent to increase the air flow though the engine bay. I have no idea how it will really work, but I figured it couldn't hurt the situation....

So I searched around a bit and I couldn't find anything I really like for a pre-made hood vent/scoop. plus I wanted to add one on each side of the engine so water and crap wouldn't get directed right on top of the motor and down inbetween the valve covers of the 7M so I decided to make my own 'nostril' type hood vents for a ram air effect that will force the air down on each side of theengine using a piece of mandel bent tubing. I'm also hoping that this curved piece will keep crap off my air filter. So this was my oringal idea....

So the first thing I did was to make a cardboard template of the curved hood profile and started cutting on that. when I was satisfied with the profile I transfered that to the hood and started cutting. Then I cut the tubing down to the profile I wanted and slowly ground on the hole until it was a tight fit. so far its turning out pretty nice for about the hour I was working on it.

It looks a little funky now but thats okay.... I'm hoping that once I get it welded into place and bondo on it and painted the same color, it should look better and more like a part of the hood instead of a scabbed on piece of metal in the shape of a shoe horn.