Author Topic: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?  (Read 18818 times)

85Toyotar

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 112
  • Member since Sep '19
    • View Profile
Re: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
I live in north-central Montana and we have snowy and icy road conditions for 5-6 months of the year.  I run a spool in the rear and an aussie locker up front.  Full on lockers work fine in winter road conditions, you just have to learn how to drive with them.  It's true that you can get the rear end out as quick as you want, but when you let off the throttle it snaps you back straight just as fast.  In this way you almost have more control on the ice than with an open diff. I find them very predictable. You just have to know what to expect.

It's certainly true that the spool eats tires.  My ideal would be a Detroit locker in the rear and another Detroit or an aussie locker up front.  We rana full Detroit in a 4runner and I found it very predictable and even easy on tires as long as you drove it right.  I have found the aussie locker to be the smoothest of the "lunchbox lockers".

I might maybe consider a Toyota e-locker in the rear since it acts like it's not there when it's off and acts like a spool when it's on.  I am still leery of anything you can turn off though.  I have been out with lots of guys with the air lockers and have seen them quit locking miles deep into a trail.

I could probably buy a whole different rig in OK shape and get it running for cheaper than the cost of a Toyota Electric Locker  :rofl2: Those suckers are expensive hahaha. I am thinking a detroit is probably the way to go considering how reliable everyone says it is. Has anyone had any experience with the Grizzly lockers? Isn't the grizzly almost an exact copy of the detroits? Have read that the grizzly can be a bit weak compared to a detroit.
Blue 85' Toyota Pickup 22r