Author Topic: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?  (Read 18933 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,245
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: LSD, Lockers, whatre my options?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2019, 06:24:01 PM »
I see why you believe you can't/shouldn't wheel without one.however, every trail out there is doable without lockers, yes, it takes more time, more work involved, and does increase your risk of damage, but it can also be more fun/rewarding depending on your perspective.  In my youth, I was not fazed about how long it took to get through a trail, heck there were trails like Fordyce creek trail, that took us a good 8 hours to go 1.5 miles, and spending 3-4 days wheeling a trail that could be hiked in 1-2 wasn't uncommon for us back then.
 Depends on how it is set up, ones attached to the shifter are easy enough to manipulate with just a finger, and you can set them up so that you can't advance the throttle past a certain rpm.
Would consider this as an "operator" failure, should have had a spare solenoid, and a secondary air source.  For about $150, he could have had both.
Shouldn't have been, it would have just been a more challenging time on the trail, where he needed to rely on his trail skills, rather than his vehicles capabilities.  A sad day on a trail, is when your rig can't move under its own power, worse, is when you are stuck behind those dead rigs being towed through a trail.

Snowtoy….

I can appreciate your experience as an "open-differ". That is how most of us started, at least years ago.

First 4-wheeling, as the majority of the members of this site primarily do, is obviously a matter of personal experience, perspective, and each may have different definitions of "4-wheeling".

I will state categorically and emphatically, I have been on many 4-wheel drive designated or known trails with obstacles that are absolutely NOT negotiable with a open diffs!!  IN FACT, some trails I've been on, some very well-known, there are often vehicles that are locked up front and rear that get stuck multiple times and have to be hi-jacked, winched, precisely spotted off the obstacle.

During my active 4x4 Club days, there were numerous trail runs where the trip leader would state "Only fully locked up vehicles should be on this trip".  Now, there were also a few trail runs that were just bouncy dirt roads and a 4x4 with open diffs would probably not have any serious issues.  Here in AZ 95% of the trails are rock crawling, with the other 5% a mix of mud running, snow runs, and sand dunes.

Taking a 4x4 with open diffs and thrashing and bashing it is just silly, if not stupid, dangerous, and expensive.  There are trails that are fun with open diffs.  But for me 4-wheeling with open diffs is like snow skiing with one ski and one ski pole.  :yikes:

Your definition of “operator” failure for an ARB system failure is strange.  If I apply that thinking, then I would have to have in my spare parts action packers every other part on my truck!  Besides even if you carry a spare, it is still for a failure.

Most drivers have X trail skills and X reliance on their vehicle.  Most 4-wheelers I’ve known have some ratio of both.

I’ve wheeled with guys that could not find the right line over an obstacle if the spotter marked it with fluorescent paint.  And, I’ve wheeled with guys that could drive a golf cart over an obstacle.

When your rig can't move under its own power or when you are stuck behind those dead rigs being towed through a trail may not be sad, but it is surely not a fun day.

4-wheeling to me is like toilet paper..... lots of choices, pick whatever feels good to you!  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :blah:

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2019, 06:41:59 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein