Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117375 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
Gnarly, are you still planning to have your truck run on a dyno?
I have only known one guy to do it with a 22re. It was a 2.7L stroker build by engine builder.
The results.... well...... very disappointing.
I believe it was 102 hp, So sad!
He made a few changes and had a second set of dyno runs performed. the result.... well........ more disappointing. 100hp on the dot.
Oh and the but dyno, I rode in it three times and drove it once....
Well....... Yep.........
You guessed it very disappointing.
I rode in Andrew's 4runner with the 3rz once. Well....... It would have destroyed that 2.7L stroker 22re, no question.

Yes... I want to do some chassis dyno testing on my truck.  I hope to get this engine running like I think it should, with a good number miles and then get it on the dyno at a local Phoenix speed shop.

I realize that the chassis dyno will produce some lower power numbers than a SuperFlo 902.  The numbers will also be lower than my DD software, which virtually simulates an engine dyno calculating brake HP at  the flywheel.

I don't think I'll be disappointed... nor do I think I'll be surprised.  BUT... what it will do for me is start with a benchmark.  Then... whatever I do to my engine (or gearing) from there, I can compare the changes on the dyno.  I realize there are some significant variables and the numbers can be accurate, close, off, or difficult to analyze the actual cause and effect.

I look at my research and testing as more fun than an overly serious attempt at gaining some profound new revelations about these little engines.

Regarding the stroker.  I mentioned before that I drove a 22R stroker in an early pickup, built by an engine builder who builds Toy engines for racing.  I was surprised, disappointed, at its lack of throttle response and I didn't feel it had very much more power over my stock 85 22R in my shortbed with just a DT header and 2.25" exhaust,  and my Double Gnarly
Air Filter Mod.

I am already looking at building another engine.... an aluminum block V-8... and swapping it for my 22RE.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:25:28 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein