Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 569891 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
If it's drive-by-wire, you're screwed; as the computer is dropping the revs slowly for emission reasons.
It is drive-by-wire, and you are right that this is what's keeping the RPM up.  It would probably require a software revision to "correct" that.
Yeah, it looks like this is the issue, as I was informed about it on another site. As for the software revision, I am currently working on something of that nature and if successful then I will see about eliminating it.

Sounds like you need 4 switches (one for each wheel) to manually tell the computer to apply the brakes for a specific wheel....
I am already working on something similar to add a very special functionality that I have on my 1981 Hilux, only this time it will certainly without question be far better with the Tacoma.

the masses don't wanna see any stinkin control arms in the front of that truck!
I'm sorry to tell you this but the sad reality is that they actually do. Consider an image search for "lifted Tacoma", https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lifted+Tacoma&t=hb&iax=1&ia=images. I scrolled for a while and couldn't even find a SAS Tacoma.

Look, I'm with you and I'm also upset that Toyota does not equip or even offer as an option a live front axle for the Tacoma. But we must concede to the clear facts that Toyota is the #1 automobile manufacture in the world (or did VW finally surpass them?) and the Tacoma is by a run-away margin the #1 most sold compact pickup in the US of A for a reason. To put things into perspective, after the 1st quarter of 3rd gen Tacoma sales, Toyota sold more Tacoma's than Colorado's, Canyon's and Frontier's COMBINED. It is insane. Moreover, according to KBB, the top 10 automobiles for best resale value ranks the FJ Cruiser as #1 (now discontinued), the Tacoma as #2, and the 4Runner as #3. What do all three have in common? You guessed it, independent front suspension. Despite how much we like to dislike IFS, we have to recognize that Toyota has the best marketing analysis and has proved the demand to be IFS over live axle in the U.S. of A. Don't blame Toyota. Blame consumers, of which now I'm part responsible. I've said it before and it's prudent to repeat here: The day the 70-series Land Cruiser is offered in the U.S. of A. will be the same day I sell this Tacoma.

By the way my 2016 TRD sport does Not have hill asst start.
Hmmmm? Mine certainly does. Yours is a stick shift, right? It doesn't need much of a hill at all; I can demonstrate it on the gentle slope of our Marlin Crawler parking lot.

Can you measure from the ground to the bottom of your rocks for me please.. Your truck looks way shorter then mine.  I am still at stock height but have lots of ground clearance.
I can't so much do this anymore, number one because the truck isn't at stock height any longer (more on this sooner), and it's also currently not in my possession (more on this soon). :circle:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki