Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117479 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
Which engine analyzer program are you running?

Performance Trends Engine Analyzer v3.2

Does it have a built-in profile for a Toyota 22R head or do you have to enter the variables for things like valve size, port volume, port length, etc?

No, I had to input all data and specs.

As to the LCE cam - I thought the split was only 12 degrees...?  Without going and looking it up, isn't the I/E duration @ .050" 208/220?

Correct.. typo - edited my post.

Where can I find specs on stock Toyota cams?   If it's in the FSM I have been unable to locate a 1984 FSM for a reasonable price. The 1985 and later are plentiful but for some reason the earlier ones are had to come by so I've just been living with a Haynes manual and this website for technical stuff.

I have researched many many sources.  Some may not be completely accurate.

Here's one of a number:    http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/toyota-4-cyl-engine-information-18589.html

I would really like to see the specs for the factory carb and EFI cams so we have a meaningful baseline to compare the aftermarket cams.

Yeah... accurate specifications and engine, carb, EFI, cam specs and other data is nice....just may take some time to find it.... then figure out what it means.  I have found that some of the specs and data on the early Toyota engines, as well as aftermarket sites that are published and that have been posted on some forum sites to be incorrect.

As far as "a meaningful baseline to compare the aftermarket cams".... I've posted text charts, Excel sheets on cam profiles, cam specs data, and comparison results from my software testing, from cam suppliers, Toyota experts, owner feedback, from published forum discussions, and from practically anything I could find in my research since about 1994.

A meaningful baseline is most likely VERY subjective!

In the obvious absence of any published real certified dyno test data, I have generously taken many hours of my time to provide comparison data for anyone who is seriously interested in the cam profile comparison data from my software and with whatever information I have, whether it may considered total Bravo Sierra, anecdotal, fake, theoretical, virtual, exaggerated opinions, highly expert, or otherwise.

My primary initial interest in the 22R aftermarket cams was to get more torque between 2500 and 3500 RPM for my daily driver.  I was not interested in pumping up the HP number at 5,000+ RPMs - not racing anything.

I hope to do some chassis dyno testing in the future.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:10:14 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein