Author Topic: No oil in oil filter  (Read 9330 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,274
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: No oil in oil filter
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 03:47:52 AM »
This subject has always been one of the most hotly debated on every automotive forum website I’ve been on – dozens.

There’s no doubt there are people who have had bad experiences with the dreaded FRAM oil filters, but globally, with millions and millions consumed in the aftermarket non-OEM industry, there doesn’t seem to be any ongoing issues of causing engine failures due to the design, quality of the construction, or internal filtering materials.

A backyard self-proclaimed expert taking apart an unused oil filter and analyzing its components is like taking apart a freshly rebuilt engine and visually describing its components.  Neither action will accurately predict how it will operate in its designed function.

In the “comparisons” I have read I did not read any statements about actual testing of Filter Capacity, Cumulative Efficiency, Multipass Efficiency, Mechanical and Durability, Single Pass Efficiency to SAE Standard HS806.  Why?

To me, those comparisons are about as scientific and as meaningful as the comparison below…

Below is a link to a toilet paper comparison….  Nowhere in this comparison does it state how many “testers” there were, what parts of the tester’s anatomy were tested, how many rolls of TP did each tester test.  Did the any of the rolls pass the “poop test” which should have included:  Filter Capacity, Cumulative Efficiency, Multipass Efficiency, Mechanical and Durability, Single Pass Efficiency.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health-products/toilet-paper-reviews/a18787/toilet-paper-brands/

The debate about those bad-a$$ FRAM filters will rage on…and on…   :driving:

Gnarls. :greengrin:
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 03:58:28 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein