Author Topic: Am I at the end of 22re power upgrades or is their something else?  (Read 29750 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,272
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Some things I’ve learned from owning a Toyota truck since 1986 (14 Toyota vehicles including 4 Toyota trucks).

For the 20R, 22R, and 22RE…..

Blue printing an engine rebuild for a specific application should be considered carefully.  Admittedly, I should have done more research before starting my current 22RE rebuild.

The question is, what do you do and why?

What RPM range do you want your peak power increase?

Are you rockcrawling (low RPM torque), mud thrashing (mid to high RPM torque, Baja racing (high RPM WOT HP), daily driving, pulling a trailer (mid-range RPM freeway speeds).

Does the engine/vehicle have to pass EPA testing?  Are you budget limited?  Are you time constrained?  Can you do the work or do you have to pay someone? Should you risk buying a short block, long block, or turn-key?

Are reliability, maintenance, and gas mileage issues?

As discussed here recently, non-engine differential gear ratios and tire size changes can have a significant impact on transferring the multiplied torque to the tires.

Upgrading a previous rebuild (unknown specs) may require a slightly different approach to upgrades for performance gains.

Other than major block, head, and component modifications, aftermarket engine management systems, turbo and supercharging, arguably, the typical performance gains from a stock engine are mostly incremental - that added together can make an estimated additional 10 to 30 HP.

There are lots of opinions, shared experiences, touted aftermarket products, and backyard mods, but I see very little test data that will back up the performance gains with certified dyno tests – either engine dyno or chassis dyno.  So, we mostly rely on our butt dyno, word of mouth, whatever the “experts” tell us, supplier’s recommendations, Internet Bravo Sierra, and our infamous forum discussions.

As an example….it seems there is some debate that bolting on a 4-in-1 header and 2 ½” pipe and turbo muffler may or may not maximize the torque gain or HP at the RPM range you want for a stock 22RE.  In fact, you most likely will lose some valuable low end torque from off-idle to 3000 RPMs.

TUNING is very critical to getting the most out of these engines, especially the 22RE.  Spark plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires, and ignition timing is very important to accurately set and properly maintain.  Proper valve lash is also important.  Are all the sensors working properly?  Pumping high viscosity crank case oil can suck power. 

As in the Sonny and Cher 1967 Top Ten Hit song “And The Beat Goes On”…   :dancing:

“The beat goes on, the beat goes on
Drums keep pounding
A rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da”

That's just my worthless opinion.

Gnarls.  :spin:

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2016, 05:55:18 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein