Author Topic: Common approach to lengthening front driveshaft  (Read 31668 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
For example, saving $50 might seem like a great deal, you might quickly hand someone $50 or more if you could magically fix a trail break.

I'd give that and all the beer in the cooler.....and maybe the wife if she was barking in my ear about being broke down!  Just kidding, only half the beer....and the wife.  Nah, she's pretty good. 

I've actually never seen (in person) a u-joint break to the point you couldn't drive it....only seen them start popping and carrying on but would still pull.  That said, I have seen a yoke break on a trail, but that was on a Nissan (....uuummm, I'll be nice and stop at that).  I'm also not as rough on my stuff as most of you guys; big part of this is my tires are only 31s.

Blackdiamond, you'll probably roll you eyes, but with the u-joints out and not being able to locate my spring for the CV, I went ahead and ordered a Precision replacement ball and spring kit for that joint as well.  I figured, with both u-joints and the CV all being Precision, from Orielly, and all having lifetime warranty, if I have a problem with one, I'll just pull them all and take it all back and get 3 new parts.  That's $80 to have everything be new and under warranty on that shaft end anyway.  The u-joint on the axle side will probably go the first time it sees 4x4 in this truck. :rofl:

.......spending more money. Precision CV kit was $45. Called NAPA just to see and they had SKF for $75.  Pick up at Orielly in the morning.
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC