Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117358 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
Hey 79coyotefrg,

You have my curiosity working here.  So you were in 5th gear at 45 MPH before cresting the hill and then shifted down to 4th gear?

Would you mind helping me with details on your truck?

I read about your LCE cam and you're running a Weber 32/36 -  what else have you done to your engine?

What is your ring & pinion? 

What size tires and rims are you running?

I did a very quick check on that cam and your engine based on your initial comments and it looks like it produces some very big torque and HP numbers in the higher RPM range.  I would like to plug in some more accurate data and then do some mock pulls on my dyno software. :greengrin:

Then, if you want, we can compare your "BD" (butt dyno) with my "DD" (desktop dyno). :dancing:
Thanks,

Gnarls. :spin:

no when I crested that long hill I was at 5000-ish rpm in 3rd then dropped into 4th and rolled on down the two lane

35 PitBull Rocker radials on 15x10 eagle alloys, 5.29's, rear elocker converted to cable, slightly elongated oiling holes in the 20R rocker rail with 22R rockers.
no reason then to change the depth of the valve guides, seats or stems but I always put a 5 angle grind on my valves and port my own heads with some "custom" stuff done to my intake.

I asked Carl at LC back then what the kit involved.  I already had new 22R rockers and ran dual valve springs a while but had problems with the adjusters splintering off under the rocker where it rode on the valve stem  and after designing a double roller rocker with an adjustment and made a mock up out of wood and one from clay  my dad passed away and then I had "the wreck" so I just dialed back a hair, installed 20R springs and never looked back.   
that kit is what you have to run to be able to claim on the warranty. doesnt mean you HAVE to run it to make it work.
OH I have an ifs rear axle LC rotors and IFS calipers on the front, 1/4 wall sliders, 3 inch c channel driven in the rear frame rails with a 8 pound sledge, another 3 inch channel across the back for a bumper and a receiver from a 95 4Runner for trailering.  front bumper is a 1/4 wall flat box bumper with 3/8 plate in places with a WARN 9000.
she weighs right at 4500lbs and can out run any stock truck at over a 1000 pounds lighter.
About 4 maybe 5 years ago I made a trip north and from FtSmith AR to Fayetteville the grade is rediculous.  A friend that had a stock Tacoma with 3rz and 5 speed with stock tires said with anything more than laundry in the bed he would have to grab 3rd in places rev it out to redline then shift to 4th and try to hold.  My truck pulled a 1000 pound trailer (84 toyota bed with a couple axles a piece of 4runner floor a a couple doors and I think a 22R and a five speed plus tcase in the back of my truck.   Up that grade I held 70 mph in 4th gear.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way