Author Topic: 1973 HILUX Racer 4508  (Read 257991 times)

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Re: 1973 HILUX Racer 4508
« Reply #960 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
KOH was an amazing trip!!
short recap of my week
got down there friday afternoon. went shock tuning sat. morning, got the shock pretty dialed in. we went for one more run to make sure we liked the tune, started choco thunder and pulled the four bolts out of the case on the front output housing. so we pulled the cases sat. night, my teammate brought a case up for me sunday. we got everything back together sunday night. went to do some pre running monday after i teched with flying colors. got us lost and ended up going down outer limits, so i turned around, got bound up going up a tricky section and broke another cromo 80 inner. talked to the owner of nitro gear and had an inner overnighted from WA. we didnt get it until wensday, so we slapped it in, went to the drivers meeting and went to bed.

race day
 started off the race getting a little off track, ended up following the LCQ course for a minute. we got turned around and back on track headed toward back door area. going over short bus(1/4 mile into the race) i taco'd my rim, only took us about 15 min to get it changed out(i left my tire at back door wich still hasn't been returned to me). then we hit the desert passing people like crazy, about 45 miles in started to hear a weird noise. got out checked out my drive lines and everything felt fine. so up and over the sand hill at mile 48.5 and to main pit. everything was good. made are way to aftershock with no problems, then hit the first trail plug and battled that for a while. got done with aftershock and headed to hwy 19/20 cruising about 30mph i hear a loud clanck and striping sound. get out to find my drive line 100ft of the side of the course. i ended up grenading my CV joint. so my co-drive hiked 2 miles up hwy 19/20 to pit 2 to get my spare drive line. about 2-1/2 hours later we are back on course and back into traffic. finally make it through 19/20, through pit 2, fissure, down jack, and headed up the sand hill just before choco thunder. as we are headed up the sand hill i hear gears strip and come to a stop. i fidget with my cases and discover i lost my low range in my front crawl box. no biggie i still have my 4.7s. so i head up to chocolate thunder and make quick work of it, then its down to wrecking ball. at this point i know im a few minutes from timing out and pretty tired. the first obstacle was blocked, so hit a tricky bypass. a little frustrated and knowing im going to time out, i start using my v8 a little too much....pop goes my front ring and pinion. we ended up making it about half way up wrecking ball with a blown R&P before we called it quits.
was the time of my life and ill be back at it again with better parts and more experience to get that W(or at least F for finish)
gotta give a huge thanks to everyone that helped me to get here. wouldn't have made the race without my dad, getting my truck done while i've been working 7-10 for the last 4 months.
and my co-driver Craig (red rocket on here)for hiking 4 miles to get me a drive shaft, thanks buddy.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS