Author Topic: Did Marlin Really Invent Toyota Rock Crawling? edited so people don't hate me  (Read 13944 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
My banner on top says "Inventor of Toyota Rock Crawling" when I first load the site up. Seriously? I mean is it even an accurate claim? I love Marlin Crawler but some of their product statements are getting a little out of hand.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 03:33:14 PM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile

highridin4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 237
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Company getting a big head?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »
Everything else is just a copy.....        :bowdown:  :turtle:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
:nana: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41422.msg515024;topicseen;highlight=rock%20crawling#msg515024

:thpst:

My banner on top says "Inventor of Toyota Rock Crawling" when I first load the site up. Seriously? I mean is it even an accurate claim? I love Marlin Crawler but some of their product statements are getting a little out of hand.

:slap: Do your homework :shake:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »
marlin's the best!!!!!!!! :respect:
 :turtle: :turtlehead: :turtle: :turtlehead: :turtle: :turtlehead: :turtle: :turtlehead: :turtle: :turtlehead: :turtle:

ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
yes its TRUE,   don't believe all the :pokinit: you read on our competitor forums :shake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockcrawling

Rock crawling is an extreme form of off road driving using vehicles anywhere from stock to highly modified to overcome obstacles. In rock crawling, drivers drive highly modified four-wheel-drive vehicles such as trucks, Jeeps, and "buggies" over very harsh terrain. Driving locations include boulders, mountain foothills, rock piles, mountain trails, etc.

The origin of rock crawling as a commonly used household term has been claimed by the Fresno, CA based Toyota rock crawling company, Marlin Crawler, Inc., who claims to have coined the term in April of 1994.[1]. On January 25, 2008, an online survey was started to verify this claim amongst a rock crawling community[2].

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 10:15:37 AM by 79coyotefrg »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
I fully believe Marlin Czajkowski invented the term "Rock Crawling" and he put Toyota pickups on the map.
It was my decision to add that to the title bar about two weeks ago.
No other company can claim this and I think we need to embrace it.

For your reading pleasure:

Before Marlin introduced the dualcase concept to North America in 1994, most people wheeled Jeeps and a few Landcruisers. Marlin remembers there being about 1 Toyota (Hilux) minitruck per every 50 Jeeps. He remembers going out onto the trail and saying, "Come awn girl, :nerv: please don't let me down!" Everyone used to make fun of these "Japanese tin cans", saying that all minitrucks were a bunch of burnt up clutches that were too long. Jeeps used to literally drive circles around minitrucks.

Terrible, terrible odds, Jeeps far out numbered Toyota pickups.

Marlin has been wheeling his truck continuously since 1983. Purchased it in Sept of 83, he had it through Rubicon & Dusy/Ershim the very next spring. He first went up Surprise Canyon in 1992, 2 years before the Marlin Crawler, burning up his clutch the whole way. According to Marlin, everyone made fun of Toyota minitrucks back then :down: No one respected them.

In fact, check this out: Did you know that Marlin's truck was the first Toyota vehicle through the Jack Hammer trail in Johnson Valley? Not only this, he was the #3 vehicle through the trail! This is confirmed by Chuck Shaner(sp?) and Paul "Fuzzyface" who are the godfathers of Johnson Valley from the Victor Valley 4WD club.

How cool is that?!! :bling: The next time you see Marlin's truck, you are looking at the first Toyota up Jack Hammer in the history of the trail. Back then that was totally BAD ASS because NO ONE respected Toyota's!

:turtle:

Now, you look around on Rubicon or Dusy or Johnson Valley, and you tell me what the ratio you see of minitruck to Jeeps? I've been through Rubicon a couple of times with a bunch of Toyotas without seeing a single Jeep.

Back in the day there were no other rigs with spare parts. You had to carry any spare you needed. You couldn't just look around a camp fire and find a spare short side front axle shaft. There weren't ppl in your group with another Hilux. You were it. You were the one weirdo idiot fool taking your underpowered POS Toyota minitruck out of the city and trying to mingle with Jeeps.

That is why Marlin takes pride when he says, "I put Toyota pickups on the map"
This is why I don't believe I am having a "big head" when I say that Marlin Crawler is the inventor of Toyota Rock Crawling. I believe it is a bonafide fact.

BigMike
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 10:44:29 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »

Do some homework before you post crap like that.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
I forgot to add that when Marlin took his truck up Jack Hammer by himself with no one else on the trail, when he returned back to base camp, Marlin says Chuck told him: "You stupid fool! You are a dumb farm boy from Fresno! Get your Toyota out of here!"

It didn't take too long for people to start respecting Toyota's after the Marlin Crawler 8)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »
Great, mature, and well thought out response Mike :bowdown:

I fully believe Marlin Czajkowski invented the term "Rock Crawling" and he put Toyota pickups on the map.
It was my decision to add that to the title bar about two weeks ago.
No other company can claim this and I think we need to embrace it.

For your reading pleasure:

Before Marlin introduced the dualcase concept to North America in 1994, most people wheeled Jeeps and a few Landcruisers. Marlin remembers there being about 1 Toyota (Hilux) minitruck per every 50 Jeeps. He remembers going out onto the trail and saying, "Come awn girl, :nerv: please don't let me down!" Everyone used to make fun of these "Japanese tin cans", saying that all minitrucks were a bunch of burnt up clutches that were too long. Jeeps used to literally drive circles around minitrucks.

Terrible, terrible odds, Jeeps far out numbered Toyota pickups.

Marlin has been wheeling his truck continuously since 1983. Purchased it in Sept of 83, he had it through Rubicon & Dusy/Ershim the very next spring. He first went up Surprise Canyon in 1992, 2 years before the Marlin Crawler, burning up his clutch the whole way. According to Marlin, everyone made fun of Toyota minitrucks back then :down: No one respected them.

In fact, check this out: Did you know that Marlin's truck was the first Toyota vehicle through the Jack Hammer trail in Johnson Valley? Not only this, he was the #3 vehicle through the trail! This is confirmed by Chuck Shaner(sp?) and Paul "Fuzzyface" who are the godfathers of Johnson Valley from the Victor Valley 4WD club.

How cool is that?!! :bling: The next time you see Marlin's truck, you are looking at the first Toyota up Jack Hammer in the history of the trail. Back then that was totally BAD ASS because NO ONE respected Toyota's!

:turtle:

Now, you look around on Rubicon or Dusy or Johnson Valley, and you tell me what the ratio you see of minitruck to Jeeps? I've been through Rubicon a couple of times with a bunch of Toyotas without seeing a single Jeep.

Back in the day there were no other rigs with spare parts. You had to carry any spare you needed. You couldn't just look around a camp fire and find a spare short side front axle shaft. There weren't ppl in your group with another Hilux. You were it. You were the one weirdo idiot fool taking your underpowered POS Toyota minitruck out of the city and trying to mingle with Jeeps.

That is why Marlin takes pride when he says, "I put Toyota pickups on the map"
This is why I don't believe I am having a "big head" when I say that Marlin Crawler is the inventor of Toyota Rock Crawling. I believe it is a bonafide fact.

BigMike

I forgot to add that when Marlin took his truck up Jack Hammer by himself with no one else on the trail, when he returned back to base camp, Marlin says Chuck told him: "You stupid fool! You are a dumb farm boy from Fresno! Get your Toyota out of here!"

It didn't take too long for people to start respecting Toyota's after the Marlin Crawler 8)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
Ok, so the "term", not the activity. That works for me. To all you others, you seriously need to chill out. Sound way too much like you'd blindly defend Marlin no matter what the facts. I'm just questioning the statement, and it's clear from the response that Marlin didn't invent "rock crawling", he coined the term for the activity.

So yeah I could have googled it first, big deal, thanks  :shake:

Seriously though, thanks BigMike for the write up, interesting stuff. I guess Marlin does have a pretty good claim about putting Toyotas on the map.
Zach
I like Yotatech

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
He may not be the inventor of  "Rock Crawling"  but.... I feel he is the inventor of  "Toyota Rock Crawling"   Which is on that banner. I would also defend Marlin no matter what the facts are......
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
Ok, so the "term", not the activity. That works for me. To all you others, you seriously need to chill out. Sound way too much like you'd blindly defend Marlin no matter what the facts. I'm just questioning the statement, and it's clear from the response that Marlin didn't invent "rock crawling", he coined the term for the activity.

So yeah I could have googled it first, big deal, thanks  :shake:

Seriously though, thanks BigMike for the write up, interesting stuff. I guess Marlin does have a pretty good claim about putting Toyotas on the map.

First of all, I don't "blindly defend" ANYBODY

Second of all, you calling Marlin arrogant is blind :shake:

He may not be the inventor of  "Rock Crawling"  but.... I feel he is the inventor of  "Toyota Rock Crawling"   Which is on that banner. I would also defend Marlin no matter what the facts are......

Exactly.

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
He may not be the inventor of  "Rock Crawling"  but.... I feel he is the inventor of  "Toyota Rock Crawling"   Which is on that banner. I would also defend Marlin no matter what the facts are......
x1000 im a bigger fan of marlin czajkowski  then marlin crawler inc.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »

So yeah I could have googled it first, big deal, thanks  :shake:

since your so superior in intelligence how about you show some proof of anyone else crawlin rocks with a toyota before Marlin did it

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
yes I agree Marlin put toyota rock crawling on the map and nobody can take that away from him! I really enjoyed the write-up BigMike its always cool to learn history about the things we love to do! I have to agree with no-idea in that no matter what anyone thinks of Marlin Crawler Inc. Marlin himself should be a hero to anyone who enjoys rock crawling their toyotas.....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
Marlin "the inventor of toyota Rock crawling" has my support all the way. :bowdown: :turtlehead:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
Ah, here we go.

My point is not to bash the company, if I wanted to do that I'd post on Trail Gear, not here. But since some people have decided that's what I'm doing, there's not much I can post that will change their minds, eh?

It's a bold statement, so I posted on it. I guess I should have used a better subject, like "did they really invent rock crawling?" and you all wouldn't be so sore, but oh well, I didn't.

I like how this http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41422.msg515024;topicseen;highlight=rock%20crawling#msg515024 is the online survey that proved the statement: "On January 25, 2008, an online survey was started to verify this claim amongst a rock crawling community[2]."

I'm not saying Marlin didn't invent Toyota rock crawling, I'm saying it's bold statement that if you're going to make, you'd better be ready to defend, which BigMike & Co. seem fully prepared to do, unlike the reactionary hurt-feelings posts from some others.

*sigh*...Well, I chose an unfortunate title for an innocent post, and I'm sorry for that, but I suppose today's as good a day for an internet fight as any other, so...keeping this very un-PC truth in mind (sorry if it offends anyone):

I'm ready. Other than the title making people bristle, what's wrong with me questioning the statement? I Have a lot of respect for the company, that's not the issue.
Zach
I like Yotatech

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

:thumbs: I had to run to the back to ask Marlin a couple of questions :yupyup:

I'm just questioning the statement, and it's clear from the response that Marlin didn't invent "rock crawling", he coined the term for the activity.

Hmmmmmmm

You know, I would like to take this a step further.

:_order: NEW QUESTION :_order:

For those who were wheeling prior to 1994, what was your final drive ratio? I'll accept all makes and models of vehicles on this one. SM420 you name it, let's hear it. :_order:

People in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s up to 1994, I want to know what your final drive ratio was?

Notice I'm not asking for a "Crawl Ratio" since that term was non-existent. I am gonna take a wager and say most people were around 40:1, some around 60:1, and very few over 100:1. If I was asking only for Toyota trucks with all Toyota parts, then I already know the answer will only be about 51:1. So I am allowing V8 conversions with SM420s, NP205, Dana 18/20/300 or brownie boxes -- let's see em!

The point I want to make is ~ 60:1 is NOT Crawling. That is like an Olympic sprinter running downhill with a tail wind on top of a high speed moving walkway.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
Ah, here we go.

My point is not to bash the company, if I wanted to do that I'd post on Trail Gear, not here. But since some people have decided that's what I'm doing, there's not much I can post that will change their minds, eh?

It's a bold statement, so I posted on it. I guess I should have used a better subject, like "did they really invent rock crawling?" and you all wouldn't be so sore, but oh well, I didn't.

I like how this http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41422.msg515024;topicseen;highlight=rock%20crawling#msg515024 is the online survey that proved the statement: "On January 25, 2008, an online survey was started to verify this claim amongst a rock crawling community[2]."

I'm not saying Marlin didn't invent Toyota rock crawling, I'm saying it's bold statement that if you're going to make, you'd better be ready to defend, which BigMike & Co. seem fully prepared to do, unlike the reactionary hurt-feelings posts from some others.

*sigh*...Well, I chose an unfortunate title for an innocent post, and I'm sorry for that, but I suppose today's as good a day for an internet fight as any other, so...keeping this very un-PC truth in mind (sorry if it offends anyone):

I'm ready. Other than the title making people bristle, what's wrong with me questioning the statement? I Have a lot of respect for the company, that's not the issue.

You're correct - the title was what set me off, as well as the rest of the board most likely. The way you questioned the statement seemed like you were just trying to start :pokinit:

If it's really an innocent statement, I would recommend putting your explanation in your original post when you originally post it. Stating something like that on the PBB would have flown pretty well probably, but here where Marlin's strongest supporters reside, it seemed to be screaming for retaliation :outtahere:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
I removed a couple posts that were in bad taste. 83MT explained why he asked and I hope everyone can sympathize with him.

Please let's stop bashing and enjoy the day :thumbs:

BigMike

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
I love Marlin Crawler but some of their product statements are getting a little out of hand.
what are the other product statements that are getting a little out of hand?

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »
I removed a couple posts that were in bad taste. 83MT explained why he asked and I hope everyone can sympathize with him.

Please let's stop bashing and enjoy the day :thumbs:

BigMike
sweet I hate it when this place gets to looking like some of the other boards.... it is a nice day for some  :beer: :beer: :beer:
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or collaborative content community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
Dude, thats really freaky.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
I removed a couple posts that were in bad taste.

Ah but BigMike, what I said was funny. Put it back PLEEEEASE.  :bowdown:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Jul 17, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
it's just mike's ego. step around it on the left.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 17, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
it's just mike's ego. step around it on the left.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 17, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
Actually that post was funny...what movie was that from? Ok I accept that he coined the term, and that he made toyota rock crawling what it is today. Honestly I jumped the gun a bit...the "inventor of rock crawling" sitting right over the tubing material vs. "another companies" material was too much for me, but then I read the thread behind the tubing debate and I understand where it was coming from. When I first saw it, it just looked like MC picking on somebody, but really they're just trying to correct some borderline false information the "other company" is advertising.

Anyways, BigMike did you write the wikipedia entry?

It's a bold statement to make and it caught my attention. I won't debate the fact that Marlin has been THE leading force of ingenuity in the field. But it's still a strong statement...and the whole "based on an online survey done amongst a rock crawling community " thing...I'm sorry but it's pretty shaky "factual" ground and almost makes the claim less credible by including it. I think the other facts you've stated speak for themselves.

Troll, seriously? Well, with that last post, maybe...at that point I could see it was turning into a fight and yeah, I kind of welcomed it.

Here's my issue with that:  "controversial"---this is what BigMike's post on pirate was pulled for. You really have an issue with controversial topics being presented for public discussion? Join the Bush administration.

"...primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion"

If you honestly think that was the point behind my post, then I'm sorry. I was a little worked up by the "bragging" tone I saw on the home page. Anyways this is the off topic section and was a new post, so there's no way it could disrupt on-topic discussion.

Anyways...sorry to work people up. I don't have loyalties to other companies, I bought a tranny from here and stuck around for the forum help, so this isn't coming from something I would have heard on another forum or something like that. I opened up the webpage and thought "what's up with that" and posted. I don't have anything on or in my truck that isn't Toyota, Napa or Marlin crawler, so believe me it's not some kind of bashing thing.

You'd really defend him regarldess of the facts? I can respect the loyalty. Can't understand the mindset, but I can respect the loyalty.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 03:29:36 PM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech