Author Topic: transmission front main seal????  (Read 13186 times)

spaded1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jan '09
  • 85 toyota pickup EFI, bobbed bed 12 inches, 33'
    • View Profile
transmission front main seal????
« on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »
my front main seal is leaking pretty good.. and im just wondering if anybody can give me some info on what i need to do to replace it. and where i can get one and how much.. anything on this will help. thanks

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: transmission front main seal????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
dealership....

drop the tranny, and unblot the cover

sure it is the tranny and not the rear main on the engine?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
no im not sure ,, how can i tell,, just take it apart??

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
and i work at precision toyota, and their prices are ridiculous even with a discount

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »
Sounds like you need to buy or download a FSM and learn how to do it yourself!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »
pretty much, pull the tranny out and see whats going on inside. while you have the tranny out you might as well pull the clutch and flywheel and replace both seals anyways
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
might want to replace the clutch at this time too... if the tranny or rear main was leaking, it could have saturated the clutch disk, and will effcet its performance
at the very least check it out

download the pdf factory service manual from www.ncttora.com
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2009, 11:43:22 PM »
yeah your clutch is most likely oil soaked and will need to be replaced.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:30:46 AM »
oil soaked!! well my clutch fluid is really dirty, c ould that be oil.. and i plan on doing this with help from yota gurus around here, im not paying someone else to work on my truck, i want to learn how to do the hard stuff too

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »
smell the oil thats coming out,  motor oil and gear oil have totally different smells
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
your clutch fluid being dirty has nothing to do with the rear main seal of your engine, or the front main seal of your transmission.  what jimbo and i are saying is that when one of those main seals goes bad, oil from the engine or gear lube from the transmission leaks into your bellhousing where the clutch and flywheel is. if you have a bad enough leak the oil will get onto the clutch and get slung all over the inside of your bell housing. when that happens your clutch disk will start to absorb the oils and in return it will not grip the flywheel as well.  then your clutch starts to slip and not work properly.  the best fix is to just buy a new clutch disk and get your flywheel resurfaced.
97 4runner Limited

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
The oil leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing can be caused by a number of issues.
From the most common to the least.

1. Valve cover gasket, rear half moon seal.

Get under your truck and with a flashlight, check the back of the cylinder head for oil running down over the ERG cooler and then down the bellhousing.
Remove the valve cover and reseal.

2. Oil pan and engine front seal.

Rule of thumb:
'75-'84 oil pans, 20x1.50 drain plug, 17mm hex, Thick metal, factory pan gasket.

'85-'95 oil pans, 12x1.25 drain plug, 14mm hex, Thin metal, factory FIPG silicon.

Your '85 22R should not have a pan gasket. Carefully inspect the side of the oil pan. Is the engine front seal, or oil pump o-ring leaking and running down the side of the oil pan to the rear of the engine?
Replace the front seals and get rid of the leaking pan gasket.

3. Transmission front seal.

This will damage the clutch disk and if left unattended, will drain down the fork arm and swell the fork boot as well.
Gear oil is clear and does smell difference than motor oil.
Drop the trans/t-case, remove the transmission front cover and replace the input seal. Because these bolts thread completely through the case, you will need to raise the front of the trans, or drain the oil before removing the 7 bolts. Always lightly sand the input sealing surface so the seal can lap in and remember to always prelube the seal lip with grease. Ditch the front gasket and use ultra grey silicon and permatex #2 sealent on the threads.

4. Rear engine seal.

In almost all cases the rear seal will not be leaking. After removing the clutch assm and flywheel, and then the backing plate, carefully inspect the rear seal around the hub of the crank. Is it actually leaking, or is it the capillary action of the leaking valve cover rear half moon seal that was running down the back of the engine.

If it is not leaking, you have two choices:

A. Replace the good seal;
This is risky business. Remove the rear real, sand the hub of the crank, prelube the sealing lip of the seal and install it being very careful not to damage the seal during installation by hammering directly on the seal body. Then you need to hope that the new seal does not line up and contact directly on the worn area that was caused from the old seal. Never use a stainless steel speedy sleeve on the front or rear hubs of the crankshaft. They are very difficult to install straight, and because the steel is so hard, the seal does not lap in correctly and will always leak in time.

B. Leave the good seal alone;
This is the way Marlin advises. If the seal is not leaking, leave it alone. It has properly lapped in and is doing its job. I leave it until the motor is completely worn out and then you can properly replace it at that time. I have replaced more leaking seals due to customers who have installed a new seal when they did a clutch job. Only to develop a new leak later.

Marlin

1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

94runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 279
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
that is really good info above. does it apply to the v6's marlin? i could've sworn i had a rear main seal leaking (engine oil dripping at the trans bellhousing), but now i'm thinking its a valve cover leak which should be much easier to fix.
1994 4runner: toy axles, 37's, armor,

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »
order it from our hookup from here, kneedownnate's brother, aaron (te51levin)
Jimbo, I am no longer extending that offer to Marlin members.  I don't want to offend anyone, but it's just not worth it.  In fact, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask you to edit your post to remove my email address and phone number.

You're talking about a seal here anyway, and it would better to head to your local Toyota dealership and take a look a the picture in the EPC to make sure you are on the same page as the parts guy.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
that is really good info above. does it apply to the v6's marlin? i could've sworn i had a rear main seal leaking (engine oil dripping at the trans bellhousing), but now i'm thinking its a valve cover leak which should be much easier to fix.

Yes, it applies to all engines, including a local customer just south of us in Visalia.
He asked to have the rear seal replaced when we installed an h/d clutch, turbo gear set, and 4.70 single t/case.
His oil leak was the rear cam plugs on his 3.0 V6. This is a very common problem.
Had to remove the intake plenum to get that r/hand valve cover off.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:50:25 PM »
so its 90 wt thats dripping

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
and i know its not the valve cover,, i just replaced those gaskets less than 6 months ago

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
obviously if its 90 wt its not coming from the valve cover,, derrrr sorry guys

pumkin toy

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
well your tranny must be leaking then!  time to pull it out
97 4runner Limited

spaded1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
i will do that