Author Topic: '86 4Runner VW TDI conversion  (Read 15212 times)

Spulen81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
'86 4Runner VW TDI conversion
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »
This is my 1986 4runner project truck.  I got it back in September and swapped the engine in during the next couple months.  I had the swap wiring figured out and everything ready before I got the truck.  It has been my daily driver since November now.  I didn't drive it much over the winter due to a major back problem that put me out of work up until recently.  I'm now finally getting it finished up and putting alot of miles on it.  The truck was purchased from Maryland via Ohio and is an extremely clean example for NY.  There are none of these left up here or pretty much any older Yotas for that matter.  I see maybe one or two a year.

I swapped in a 1997 VW TDI from a Jetta, I drove up to Canada to pick it up.   Its running full electronics including the OBDII diagnostics.  Its a AHU code 1.9 that had 90hp and 150lb/ft. in stock form.  I'm using a ACME adapter plate and a Marlin 1600lb clutch (not puck).  The truck is pretty much stock other than a Roger Brown 2" body lift and a Bud built 2" lift crossmember.  I also got some 32x11.5s with bfg ATs.
I did the BL mostly for oil pan and firewall clearance.  This swap would have been much easier if I had done a SAS. The engine mounts and everthing would have just been alot easier to make.

I have Kerma PP764 nozzles and a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust that I made but the engine is otherwise stock.  The nozzles are supposed to add 50lb/ft and 20hp, I very much believe this, the engine really woke up.  :eyebrow: I raised the boost up to 16-17psi to match the new fueling.  I'm very happy with the power so far, I am going to chip it also which will add a significant amount more.  I may even upgrade the turbo.  Its nice to know I'm not near maxing out the engine.  Also unlike alot of diesels it will rev up until 4700 or so power band is pretty broad.

Here is a shot of the intercooler, its a small spearco that I found on ebay.  It seems to work well so far.  I am also using all VW accessories, including the factory 120amp alternator, serpentine belt and power steering.  I deleted AC for now, the compressor fouled with the steering shaft.  I'm using a 95 Golf radiator and fan setup, its just flipped upside down.  These radiators are super efficient and have a built in temp sensor so wiring the fan is really easy best yet it was free.  TDIs are pretty cold blooded, I haven't even got it hot enough to turn on the fan yet.

I used a Mitsu air box because its metal, it was a great idea that I borrowed from another swap I saw. Zooky  :biggthumpup:  It worked out great and looks like it should be there.  Also you can see how small the engine is.  Its way smaller than a 22re, mainly shorter. 

Overall I'm very happy with it, I'm getting 29-31mpg and putting 350miles a week on it.   I plan on lifting the rear a little to fix the sag and possible do a SAS down the road.  I'm also going to get the cruise working, its completely ecu controlled so its a matter of hooking up a speed sensor and a couple wires. 
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: '86 4Runner VW TDI conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:36:36 PM »
Badass!  :biggthumpup:

Nice work. I want to swap a diesel into my 85 down the road, havnt figured out which one I want though. My 22RE is still kicking strong so until she turds out on me I will run it into the ground. Make sure to keep us posted if you do a SAS :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:50:34 PM »
Serious wrenching and fabricating  :thumbs:
Very clean install and it looks factory
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
ah, that's awesome... i'm tryin' to put a 1.9 TD into my truck.

these swaps are good to see.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:53:27 PM »
thats friggin cool  :clap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,857
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »
Sweeet, and I bet it has some good power too. Hey I wonder if that would fit in the Willy Mammoth, he's wanting a different engine for his.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
Awesome swap! I cant figure out why more people don't run these motors. They are simply amazing and easy to mod for power. Keep us posted on the turbo swap if you decide to go that route.

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the complements everybody.  Its been a fun project.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

randito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
Very nice looking conversion, I'm jealous.  Just a couple questions though.  Curious how much it cost from start to finish and if you started with an entire vehicle or just the engine? 

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
How hard was the swap?
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »
so how did you convert your power steering lines?

or did you use the whole power steering setup?

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
very cool,
There is a lack of info out there on doing the later model VW swaps!
Its probably because the motors are hard to get ahold of and more $$$ and stuff...

Spulen81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 04:42:57 AM »
Cost wise it wasn't too bad. These are rough estimates of what everything was.  I paid $1700 for the engine and transmission, wiring harness, intercooler, and most of the sensors.  The whole setup had 110KM on it.  I sold the trans (pending actually) for $500 I sold the stock intercooler for $100 and a couple misc other parts for another $100.  I had to buy a $150 MAF that was missing and I did the oil pan, filter flange, rear main and VC gaskets totally about $50.

The ACME kit was $475,  Marlin clutch was $200ish.  Maybe another $50 in tranny seals and fluilds for it and the t-case.
The radiator was free from a friend, I think it was $30 or so worth of coolant hoses.
The intercooler was $100 on ebay.
The crossmember ran me $175 and the BL was $150 IIRC with new mounts and bolts.
I probably have $150 into the intercooler tubes, connectors and clamps.
Maybe $125 in my fuel system, I have a carter lift pump installed.

I paid $400 for the truck, sold the intake manifold, ecu and other misc parts for $200  :)  The truck had some minor body damage but I already had all the parts.  Mechanically its excellent, I got really lucky. 

$740 for wheels and tires. 
$500 for random stuff, fluids, gauges, nuts/bolts, steel and the exhaust system.

The power steering was easy once I found out what type of fittings to use.  I have using a stock VW pump, I used a PSC Motorsports power steering line kit with -6 AN fittings.  They are assemble yourself type reuseable fitting and some super beefy hose. 
The VW pump uses the metric O-ring type.  I bought the Toyota kit with the longer hoses and the extra fitting.  Thats it, it works great.  The hi po pump PSC sells actually looks exactly like a VW pump, kinda wierd I thought.
'86 4Runner TDI (VW)
'87 4Runner parts truck

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »
:thumbs: swap looks awesome dude!!  :yesnod:

Very well done, and well thought out.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »
Very very cool.  I love seeing more and more diesels in vehicles.  They are so much more economic.  You have done a very good job from what it looks like. 

Addicted Offroad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 236
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
    • www.addictedoffroad.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:10 AM »
Looks good. I work for a biodiesel company and we are currently swapping in 4BT cummins motors into Landcruisers. We use the Volvo intercooler on our and it fits perfectly between the A/C condenser and new radiator.

We were toying with the idea of putting one in a mini, but its just too damn tall of a motor. This sounds like the better way to go.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
4bt aren't small motors but you sure can get some power out of them.  I think that a TDI mini would be sweet.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »
I am seriously thinking about a diesel in mine after my 22re has developed a good knock in the bottom end. I am leaning towards a 4BT however.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
very cool swap indeed
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »
I assume you mated the engine to a Toy manual trans. What adapter kit , ect, did you use?

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 03:32:55 PM »
  I'm using a ACME adapter plate and a Marlin 1600lb clutch (not puck). 

read NOOB.  hehe
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress

85RUNR

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »
Nice clean install. I can't believe how much room there is under the hood.

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I don't suppose you still have the pics, they aren't working
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm very interested in this conversion. I know it's old but I would like to pick your brain and anyone else that has experience with these conversions. I have been looking for a crashed tdi car. What should I be looking for? What is your advice to me. Did you buy a stand alone harness or did you build your own? Are there any other part suppliers besides acme??? I appreciate you advice and anyone elses that can help.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs