Author Topic: I hit a deer with the 1st gen!  (Read 6757 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I hit a deer with the 1st gen!
« on: Aug 30, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »
Poor little truck didn't even see it coming.  Was driving at about 58-60 mph to a friends house just as it got dark, when a big buck came into the road at a dead run right in front of me so quick I didn't even have a chance to let off the throttle or hit the brakes.  He couldn't have timed it better!  Hit the front of the truck nearly dead on with most of the bigger damage to the right side, seemed to have got his antler stuck under the hood and drug for a little bit while I let off the gas, then dislodged and I ran him over at still a pretty good speed.  He was by far the biggest thing I've hit in any truck and the hardest hit I've ever consciously felt!

Crazy thing was, I'd been planning all day to ride the motorbike over there since it'd been a while, changing my mind at the last moment since it was nearing dark on a saturday night.  I thought some half drunk moron might take me out  :_oops:

I have only a couple of the parts I need, so now begins the long journey to piecing my poor ever faithful baby back together  :therethere:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: I hit a deer with the 1st gen!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
Sorry, some pics are blurry cause I was trying to take them last second with the wrong setting, trying to avoid the flash.  Looking closer, I don't know that there's inner fender damage on the right front, so it may just be outer bodywork and the front inner bits  :crossed:

My first thought, after wft was that?!, was aside from being glad I wasn't on the bike, I was glad I wasn't in my 2wd.  Not only because I wanna sell it soon, but I feel the damage woulda been much more substantial since it sits lower and might not be built quite as solidly as the older truck.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2015, 08:48:53 PM »
Gotta admit, one of my first thoughts was I'm glad you weren't on the bike! That's actually less damage than I figured considering you clobbered a good-sized buck at highway speed. Still really bites though..... hope you can round up all the parts and make it good as new again. Holler if I can lend a hand.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
You betcha, and thanks!  Also realized while posting pics that had I not previously cut off the lower part of the fenders, I probably woulda had to call for a tow.
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
Wow! I am really glad you decided to take the truck. Go buy a lotto ticket.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
Glad you are alright and good choice of rides that day.

My first gen looked similar to yours after I loaned it to my grandson. Only the bumper was in a V shape and radiator pushed in. Kid said he never seen the deer crossing the highway. Funny thing though I found no hair or blood just tree bark. 

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Bum deal on your truck, glad you weren't on on your scooter.  I'll bet that inconsiderate buck didn't even stick around to be dinner either.   :shake:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

SlayTank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 234
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
Man at least you have an excuse to build a bumper now

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
Bum deal on your truck, glad you weren't on on your scooter.  I'll bet that inconsiderate buck didn't even stick around to be dinner either.   :shake:

He did, and from what I saw he was already pretty tenderized!  Cali law stops us from being able to pick up animals that were road killed, but there are houses around (which is why the deer are there) so hopefully one of them drug him home when nobody was looking.

And yes, a stout bumper will be in order.  Already spoke with my friend about bringing it by his bodyshop to check it out on my day off, so we'll see what he says  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »
Poor yota...
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
That will buff out.  And you really don't want to try to eat deer that has been hit by a car.  They are so blood shot, its nasty. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
That will buff out.  And you really don't want to try to eat deer that has been hit by a car.  They are so blood shot, its nasty. 

sounds like someone knows by experience

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
Yeah, I do.  Cooked up blood clots is not good at all. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
It's totally legal to pick up road kill in MT.  I agree about the blood shot meat though.  Glad you weren't on the bike, you have a lot more living to do.

That's a bummer on the truck but they are so easy to straighten out.  I've hit a couple deer with my '80.  The core supports and inner fenders have little kink spots that can be hammer and dollyed back into alignment and sheet metal is readily available.  I just sold my spare grill but I might have a headlight bezel, driver's side I think, if you need it.  I'll donate it if you do and I can dig it up.

Looks like you need the passenger bezel.  I'll see what I have.

Let me know.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
Why thank you sir!  I need to get out in the garage and start going through boxes to see what I might have.  I have fenders if I need em, a passable hood on my old 2wd (at the house I was going to...) and a couple corner lights.  May have a headlight door or two, but I know I tossed my last grille when I moved cause it was the ugly 2wd grille that came on this thing when I bought it.

I'll find out tomorrow what the prognosis is, stopping at my friend's body shop when he opens at 8 am to see what all he can do.  I'll get some pics of it once I get all the plastics off so you can better see what's damaged.  If only our search engine worked I'd be able to peruse the parts section for my stuff...
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
Went to my friend's shop this morning and got a rough estimate of $800-1,000.  I went into it expecting $1,000 anyway, so it is in line with my expectations.  Also did some digging around and one of the first boxes I looked at in the garage had both my headlight doors with the clear corner lense, though I may get new lenses just because.  I already planned on getting the orange marker lights from a place selling them on-line and saw they have the lenses pretty cheap.  I found the grille I thought I tossed when I moved, so I can run the 2wd grille to fill the hole till I find a decent one for a 4wd.  I thought the headlight buckets might be mangled but he said they looked fine, though I did notice the bulbs were kinda knocked to the side, which is what made me think they were damaged since they didn't aim right.

As far as bodywork, he says the gap between the passenger fender and the hood will close up and straighten out when he pulls the core support back into place.  If he straightens the hood so I can keep the proper emissions tag it'll cost closer to the grand mark, if I bring a new hood into the mix it will stay closer to the $800 mark.  I'm not worried about a bumper for now, either.  If need be I can install the chrome bumper off my old 2wd for now and worry about building one later.  It'll look goofy and I hate chrome, but I'd honestly be ok running all chrome trim if that's all I could find  :bolt:

Other good news is the truck would only be down about 2 days.  He said the work itself would only take about a full day if all goes to plan, so I figure a partial day to strip and then re-install all the parts myself, and a day and a half for him to do the work.  I'll hafta try to get pics of some of the projects he's working on, there are some really neat rigs tucked in his shop!
RIP KYOTA

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
Sounds like she bang her head one too many times during her deer strikes or ate too many paint chips as a child. :laugh:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »
b!tches be crazy

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
Heard that one before, I didn't know gene pools could be so shallow  :ack:  Probably a Hitlery supporter...
RIP KYOTA

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2015, 07:51:09 AM »
glad to hear you are ok man! I have only hit one deer around here and it was in a Honda, pretty scary how they just appear outta nowhere. I have to ask, did you just pass a deer crossing sign?  :qtip: :smack:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
I probably did but did not see it.  I was probably at fault if that was the case, he had every right to cross the highway in front of me!
RIP KYOTA

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »
You need a sticker like this for your truck

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2015, 01:26:30 AM »
Now why would I put a picture of an ugly old whitetail on my truck?  Blacktail or nothing  :nope:
RIP KYOTA

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
Now why would I put a picture of an ugly old whitetail on my truck?  Blacktail or nothing  :nope:

Like the old wwII bombers used to do maybe?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
So a little update;  tinkered with it for a little tonight.  A little struggle to get off the mangled bumper and removed all the damaged bits I could.  Straightened a little bit of the passenger fender, then pulled it and started to pull the lower corner of the core support out.  As bad as it is, it isn't as bad as I thought.  I may even be able to get out the little gap between the hood and fender.  Actually thinking the lower core support and front crossmember will be the most difficult pieces to fix.  Gonna snag a hood off another truck and see how it fits to see what all I can fix, or if the upper core support is even bent.

And speaking of, there's a crack in the front frame crossmember that will need attention  :ack:  This may be the only thing I rely on somebody else for, just to assure it is right, though I'm tempted to clean it all and drill a hole at the end of the crack, lay a bead along the hole thing and plate it like I was planning to do when I built a bumper anyway.

I may be able to use it for deer season anyway!  Oh, and I got a good used set of these in 31" flavor to make highway travel safer than it is on my 13 year old tires  :burnout:

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2015, 08:18:06 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »
  Was driving at about 58-60 mph

Well, Nate, was it 58, 59 or 60?!

Was actually thinking of you last week. stayed in Redding twice (to and from portland) Glad to see you're OK.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
Good thing he wasn't in the air or he'da taken out your windshield too! Glad you weren't on your bike, too!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 25, 2015, 08:21:01 PM »

Was actually thinking of you last week. stayed in Redding twice (to and from portland) Glad to see you're OK.

Well, considering my tires are several inches taller than my oe tires and my gears are taller, I am only guessing...  And you shoulda hollered at me when you were here!  I mean, I wouldn't have responded, but you shoulda hollered anyway  :gap:

Good thing he wasn't in the air or he'da taken out your windshield too! Glad you weren't on your bike, too!

I wish he woulda jumped for 2 reasons; 1 - my front end would be ok, and 2 - he would mashed my windshield but woulda been caught in the rollbar  :shhh:
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »

Should have said something.  I am only a little over an hour away from Portland.