• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »
Just joining in on the forum as this year we made a family decision to re-enter the crawler community after over a decade of being overtaken by life events.  My son and I ran a '75 Blazer back in the day with a few trips to rubicon under our belt.  Made a couple Friends of the Rubicon work trips and really enjoyed being a part of something that makes a difference with others sharing our interests.  In brushing up on forums I see many things have changed on the Rubicon over the years and looking forward to making a couple runs this year, hoping to make an inaugural run with our current build at the round up.

We live out here in what I like to refer to as Gods country in Hollister.  I refer to it as such with HH 7 miles from the house and nestled within acceptable distance of the Sierras and the beach.  The entire family is looking forward to this year re-entering into crawling and exploring around the Sierras deeper than we get on foot again.

We currently have a Gen 2 Runner set up relatively well, but still retains the IFS.  This rig will stay this way until proven no longer effective  (should be about the time the other build is trail proven).  So far proving to be a good trail rig with ridiculous articulation for an IFS rig if you can get over the extreme rear steer from the short arm links.  I'd post pics for y'all but not allowed yet...  It's locked up in the rear and fully armored up with 4.7's not duals.  Had 6 brand new 33's when we got it so looking forward to wearing them out to slip a set of 35's on her.  SAS away from being fully capable rig with no fear of trail selection.  For now with IFS and 33's, we have to be cautious where plan to take it.  For now it's proven out well at HH in the canyons and small rock gardens.

We just started our new build which is an 86 Runner.  This one is down to the rails getting the full build treatment.  Once I can post some pics I'll start up a build thread to get some opinions and thoughts.  So far we're 6 weeks into the build and we've rebuilt the 22RE, pulled the body for complete paint, torched the IFS, installed 63's and RUF.  Rebuilding the front end now so we can move into setting up the location for moving the steering box forward.  We have to start loading the frame up with some weight to confirm our front spring hanger location as with no weight (rails only) we have a negative shackle angle in front.  Enough to make me nervous final welding it in place...  After we get the steering set up, we plan to place the motor, trans and dual t cases.  We'll pop the body on, check angles and tack rails and bumpers and strip her down again for final welding and paint the frame before final assembly...

SO that's us and our intro where we're at.  Hope to meet up with some of you on the trails...
93 Runner, 86 Runner build, 85 Bobbed, 85 Xcab for parts

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
 :welcome: sounds like some sweet Runners. Create build threads for them so we can follow along :popcorn:

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
I'll get a thread up as soon as I get photo privileges.  Thanks for the welcome.  Still learning my way around the forum.  Learned the hard way about the damned turtles..  Then read about them.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
I'll get a thread up as soon as I get photo privileges.  Thanks for the welcome.  Still learning my way around the forum.  Learned the hard way about the damned turtles..  Then read about them.

Yeah they will get you those buggers.  :turtle3:

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:28 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
 :welcome:  To the forum.  Don't be afraid to ask questions. 

I have been rocking a IFS locally in Tillamook, OR since I got my truck running.  I have been slowly collecting parts when I can.  So far I have a couple front axles in various stages of needing parts.  Front SAS bracket and shackles, and a tops shift case.  Still a long ways from getting everything needed for a complete SAS, but like you said, Life has an ability of putting things on hold.  As long as you don't lose that dream.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Miller [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Took a quick burn through your build Cheese.  Nice work.  I recognize many of your photos from when I was going through the motor for ours a few weeks back.  I giggled a little when I saw the injectors because I was going to keep my old ones but was replacing the seals.  As I was fiddling with one of the injectors, acting all badass explaining how it worked to my son... I dropped it.  Cracked it good so we have all new injectors now!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Thanks Miller!  My project has hit the wall for a while.  It still runs good, minus all the little things that needs attention.  Toyota's are the best little runabout rig out there.  I do things with mine, that the guys look at me, and say there is no way you are gonna be able to do that.  And off I go.  Generally, its not out on a trail they say that, its at the lumber yard, or the gravel yard with my trailer hooked up. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
:welcome:  back, once it is in your blood it never goes away.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

GoldnGateYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2015, 08:38:58 PM »
 :welcome: