Author Topic: clutch engagement problems  (Read 2243 times)

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
clutch engagement problems
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »
Just got done with my project. It's 95' 2wd to 4wd conversion.
When I got the truck it didn't have a master cylinder so I bought a stock 2wd and installed it. I immediately started having problems with engagement, the peddle had no resistance until the last inch or 2 before hitting the floor and still was not a "full engagement".  I bled it multiple times then decided to swap the slave cylinder,  bled it multiple times and still have the same issue.  Ended up replacing the clutch and still have the same problem.
So now it's converted with the new 4wd tranny but I'm still having the same problems.
Any ideas?
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26756
  • Male Posts: 3,516
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: clutch engagement problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:37:54 PM »
if you pump it a few times does it work, if so may have air still in lines
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »
Whats the adjustment look like on the pedal?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:00:25 AM »
I've bled it probably 10 times,  2 bottles of fluid. Pedal is all the way up like normal but takes no pressure to push down.  I've messed with the adjustment as well.  Thinking the MC is just junk? !
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
Is this a new master cyl or a used one? 

I had my slave go out on me, and I bled it, and found out I was bleeding it wrong.  I thought that if you pushed the pedal down, and then crack the bleeder, like a brake system, it would be fine.  But I found out, to bleed a slave, you have to crack the slave, and then push down on the pedal, then tighten the bleeder, then let up on the pedal.

I still have a soft pedal, but I also need to replace the master, the plastic bowl is cracking and soon to give out.  Plus I have the stainless braided line for the slave.  Which I got from  :turtle: which I will install at the same time.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »
It's all new parts from autozone. Bled it correctly many times. I'm going to try and adjust the pedal some more. If that doesn't work I'm hoping to try a new MC.

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
I had the same problem, a new master cylinder solved it, mine was bleeding into the cab floor.. I bled the line like 10 times before I figured out it was a mc. It only cost like 30$ for a new one

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
Ended up being the pedal adjustment, I thought I had it dialed in but it was way off.