Author Topic: Anybody ever seen this before? Best way to repair?  (Read 7067 times)

19psi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Anybody ever seen this before? Best way to repair?
« on: Apr 27, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
So i didn't do the SAS on this truck and i'm not sure what's the PO did here to install the spring hanger kit. after a couple wheeling trips, it looks liek the OE frame cross member is starting to crack.

94 extended cab, 14B rear w/Detroit, D60 fr with E-locker, dual cases, 42" IROK's

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
I would hammer it flat, get a dremel in there and put a nice bevel on it, if you have to pound flat again, then weld it shut, then put a plate on it. Only if it is not affecting the geometry on front end, if it affecting front end,straightened the problem area then weld and reinforce
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would hammer it flat, get a dremel in there and put a nice bevel on it, if you have to pound flat again, then weld it shut, then put a plate on it. Only if it is not affecting the geometry on front end, if it affecting front end,straightened the problem area then weld and reinforce

Is that not affecting the stength and integrity of the spring hanger?  i'm not too familiar with how these trucks look when stock, so i'm not sure what i'm really looking at here.

my first thought was to plate it, i have a plasma cutter so i can make a nice plate to cover and reinforce the area.

i'm not too worried about alignment, because it's a trail only truck.
94 extended cab, 14B rear w/Detroit, D60 fr with E-locker, dual cases, 42" IROK's

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Anybody ever seen this before? Best way to repair?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
Weld that bolt hole shut too.problem solved

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
After you weld that up you want to add a gusset from the hanger to the frame rail.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/ocdropzone/frame/hanger_gussets1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1956610-latest-my-88-a.html&h=400&w=600&tbnid=WDmMYzQgOzraQM:&zoom=1&docid=trvAa62ShZJf0M&ei=ROo-Vf6eIMWpogSRkYD4AQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CEEQMygaMBo if this link works it shows what Im talking about. Not my work just a random photo.
 Also the ends of your hanger are hanging out there unsupported. I would weld a piece from the new hanger, to the old hanger, to the edge of the body mount bracket. Hope that makes sense.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wow, I haven't seen cracking in that area like that. Im curious what the cause is. My frame has some cracking in the more typical area of the front frame.

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
After you weld that up you want to add a gusset from the hanger to the frame rail.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/ocdropzone/frame/hanger_gussets1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1956610-latest-my-88-a.html&h=400&w=600&tbnid=WDmMYzQgOzraQM:&zoom=1&docid=trvAa62ShZJf0M&ei=ROo-Vf6eIMWpogSRkYD4AQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CEEQMygaMBo if this link works it shows what Im talking about. Not my work just a random photo.
 Also the ends of your hanger are hanging out there unsupported. I would weld a piece from the new hanger, to the old hanger, to the edge of the body mount bracket. Hope that makes sense.

makes perfect sense, thanks.

Wow, I haven't seen cracking in that area like that. Im curious what the cause is. My frame has some cracking in the more typical area of the front frame.

I would really like to kjnow as well.

i'm surprised they don't sell the SAS kits with all the necessary gussets to add support. after thinking about this, it seems that there should be more than just the hanger basically hanging out there on teh end of the square tube as it's only support.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I havent seen breaks in that area before either.  My runner broke on the sides of the frame between the steering box and the hanger.

Do you have a winch by any chance?

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I havent seen breaks in that area before either.  My runner broke on the sides of the frame between the steering box and the hanger.

Do you have a winch by any chance?

i do, but i haven't used it yet.

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I just wondered if winching had caused that.  When my frame broke i plated the outsides up to the very front, i welded square tubing under the frame and welded it to the backside of the hanger.  I still had cracks at the steering box, could see it on the inside of the frame.

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just wondered if winching had caused that.  When my frame broke i plated the outsides up to the very front, i welded square tubing under the frame and welded it to the backside of the hanger.  I still had cracks at the steering box, could see it on the inside of the frame.

Yup, that would make perfect sense. i'm going to add some plate and gussets to the spring hangers to the frame after welding up the cracks.

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's what a shop did on mine as part of a cracked frame repair. I still need to mirror it on the passenger side and add frame reinforcement plates to the outside of the frame rails.

[/URL]

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's what a shop did on mine as part of a cracked frame repair. I still need to mirror it on the passenger side and add frame reinforcement plates to the outside of the frame rails.

looks good, that's what i'm thinking i'll do but obviously in other areas. I have full hydro sterring so there's no stress around where the box was.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Last year we had one of our rig front hanger+frame totally ripped off the the front on dusy just passed Thompson hill pain in the  :moon:

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

I don't think so.  I believe it's too much pressure on the front hanger  from all the arching, twisting, turning and plus heavy abusing. 

jangelfire

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
^^^^ heavy abuse! My dual cases got rid of the need for abuse

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91592.msg1030842#msg1030842

looks like some cutting, grinding and welding in my future!

I agree, the vendors need to add gussets to weld in with their kits to prevent this from happening.

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
So i didn't do the SAS on this truck and i'm not sure what's the PO did here to install the spring hanger kit. after a couple wheeling trips, it looks liek the OE frame cross member is starting to crack.

I bet if you look more you'll see more cracks in the frame.  I brace mine all the way from the body mount under the door to the very front taking out the front body mount I'll try to get some pics,  I've went as far as the whole front bracing too plus inside the frame to the motor mount.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Wow. That's some crazy damage.
If you see it, its for sale.

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I bet if you look more you'll see more cracks in the frame.  I brace mine all the way from the body mount under the door to the very front taking out the front body mount I'll try to get some pics,  I've went as far as the whole front bracing too plus inside the frame to the motor mount.
Yes, there are more crack on the back of that cross member. Nothing on the frame, yet.

Any pics you have would be great. 

19psi [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wow. That's some crazy damage.
That's from 3 wheeling trips! And I don't beat on it, I have plenty of hearing. That's just from flexing.