Author Topic: Dog rattlesnake avoidance training  (Read 1234 times)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Dog rattlesnake avoidance training
« on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
This is too stupid to make up, it is true.

Yes, believe it or not animal-rights groups said this type of training was too stressful on the rattlesnakes!

Luckily, the ordinance is effective only in the city of San Diego and not the County.

Here are some further details:
As you may or may not know rattlesnake aversion training for dogs has come under fire from animal rights activists in San Diego County. Earlier this year a complaint was registered with San Diego county animal services regarding the use of rattlesnakes to train dogs to avoid snakes, the complaint was that it is cruel and stressful to the snakes. Because of the complaint animal services has begun enforcing an ordinance in the county that prohibits the possession of venomous reptiles. Animal services has contacted the aversion trainers and told us we can no longer offer this service and said in no uncertain terms that we will be cited if we continue.

Sounds crazy doesn't it? The authorities would rather have many dozens of dogs bit each year than inflict some possible stress on rattlesnakes!

Okay, if you stopped laughing now, be on guard for copycat legislation in your location. Once one wacko group has success with legislation like this is quickly passed on to their counterparts throughout the country. Oh, by the way, where still not allowed to dredge for gold in California!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Dog rattlesnake avoidance training
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
Kalifornia  :shake_head:
Time to go wheelin!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »
Cousin just sent me a photo of a rattler they found in the neighbors yard.  They live in Riverside/Corona area. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
So, you cannot effectively train your dog to avoid snakes. The alternative is to simply shoot the snake, if you see it before your dog does. Think getting shot will be less stressful to the snake?
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »

I have lots of prospecting friends from Calif and Nevada to Arizona and a whole lot of them have put dogs through the training and swear by it. Every year on my AZ prospecting trip I wonder if we will encounter the fangy beasts, so far all is well.
But I do carry a weapon with me and every other round is a snake load. Personally I would only shoot one if we could not avoid it.
And my dog has not had the training.