Author Topic: Converting '83 4wd Manual Steering to Power Steering  (Read 8670 times)

83 yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '15
  • improve a little more each day!
    • View Profile
Converting '83 4wd Manual Steering to Power Steering
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Hello folks as the title says I am looking to possibly put in power steering on my '83 4wd Toyota pickup. As of right now it has no lift, stock suspension and stock steering components. It has the stock manual steering gear box which is showing some definite signs of wear and age. It seems to be leaking a little bit of fluid out of the top and seeing as it's never been touched I was going to pull it and tear it down and clean it up. However since I will be yanking it I have thought about drilling and tapping it to hook up some hydro assist lines. However as it is a regular manual steering box and not an IFS box I don't know if hydro assist is doable. There is also the option of buying an IFS type steering box. In either case i'll have to hunt down some hydraulic lines, pump and a reservoir. If the old manual steering box is in good enough shape to reuse I think that would be the cheaper option. Would a power steering setup off of something like an '85 4wd Toyota pickup be compatible with the steering on an '83? I don't want to put in the $$$ on crossover steering but some kind of power steering in the near future would be really nice! Wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has some thoughts to share on it. Thanks guys
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2015, 06:44:04 PM by 83 yoter »

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Not an answer, but I'll be defiantly  following this thread as I am looking to do something similar for my 4x4 chinook. But why IFS? Why not swap a power steering  setup from a yard with our generation of truck?
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,144
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
I would be incredibly surprised to learn that a manual gear can be converted to power. The easiest and I would think the most cost effective way to go about it is to just get the entire PS setup off any solid axle pickup and just bolt it onto yours. All 79 - 85  solid axle 4wd truck/4runner steering gears are interchangeable.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
I would be incredibly surprised to learn that a manual gear can be converted to power. The easiest and I would think the most cost effective way to go about it is to just get the entire PS setup off any solid axle pickup and just bolt it onto yours. All 79 - 85  solid axle 4wd truck/4runner steering gears are interchangeable.
Exactly what I understood.
Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Question now is how much $ is too much $. From a yard?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
I would expect my local yard to let the whole setup go for about $100. problem is they have lots of ifs and 2wd toys come through and VERY few solid axle. Everything can be soarced from ifs and 2wd rigs but the gear musst be 79-85 4wd. Anyway, I would try and not pay to much over $100 all said and done :twocents:.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Seems legit  :yesnod: I wonder  if you could source what you need through napa?? And why a 4x4 only?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
you can use the pump, hoses, etc. from a 2wd or ifs. Its the gear on the frame that must be 4x4. I'm 99.9% sure the 2wd boxes are smaller and will not bolt up to the 4x4 frame. Sure you can get everything from napa. Maybe not the gear, but I doubt you would want to. It would cost alot im sure.

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Agreed, and I didn't know that about the 2wd 4wd difference, good stuff.👌

83 yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '15
    • View Profile
Question now is how much $ is too much $. From a yard?
Hehe yes that is the question right there. I'm doing some looking around for parts but it could take a bit. I don't really want to spend a fortune and our local scrap yards are always out of Toyota pickup parts. But between this site, eBay and constantly checking with the scrap yards I should eventually be able to scrounge the needed parts. Taking a power steer system out of another pickup and throwing it on mine is most likely the route I'll end up taking. I'm very sure you're correct about the 2wd gear, it will have to be another 4wd. Either way that leaky worn out manual gear box is going to have to come out of there! Might clean it up but that's probably all I'll do to it. Thanks for all the comments so far!

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Hehe yes that is the question right there. I'm doing some looking around for parts but it could take a bit. I don't really want to spend a fortune and our local scrap yards are always out of Toyota pickup parts. But between this site, eBay and constantly checking with the scrap yards I should eventually be able to scrounge the needed parts. Taking a power steer system out of another pickup and throwing it on mine is most likely the route I'll end up taking. I'm very sure you're correct about the 2wd gear, it will have to be another 4wd. Either way that leaky worn out manual gear box is going to have to come out of there! Might clean it up but that's probably all I'll do to it. Thanks for all the comments so far!
Solid bro, a few months ago I went to my local yota yard, and he quoted me $250 for the bundle from another truck! :yikes: I'd pay it, but pretty high in my and many other yota owner opinion.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,851
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have a fairly new pump and used reservoir for cheap. I can even give you the receipt for the pump for any warranty issues down the line.
Time to go wheelin!

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
I have a fairly new pump and used reservoir for cheap. I can even give you the receipt for the pump for any warranty issues down the line.
we're  you located?

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Fife, Washington
Time to go wheelin!

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Nice I was just up in the San Juans do I get some tent camping this Jan. Must say, quite quiet! Lol on Orcas specifically, it felt like I was the only foreigner.!! Perfect IMHO

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Nice. We used to go more, but it's too crowded on the weekends now
Time to go wheelin!

4xChinook4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
Maybe it was because it was the wet season??? For why there was no one. Anyway I'll stop now trying not to thread jack ! Lol

83 yoter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '15
    • View Profile
Awesome. PM sent.