Author Topic: Chevy V8 swap questions  (Read 4213 times)

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Chevy V8 swap questions
« on: Mar 26, 2005, 06:04:55 AM »
I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed, but I'm not a rookie on here and need a few questions answered.  That pickup I bought has no engine, but a tranny and transfer case.  I want to pull those out and am thinking about a small block chevy.  I already have a SM465 mated to a Jeep Dana 300.  Question 1-frame mounts-what do you guys suggest?  I would prefer bolt on.  Question 2-is there a SM465 bellhousing that takes a slave cylinder?  If not what can I do here?  If there is, is it adaptable to the toyota clutch master cylinder?  Question 3-toyota drivelines-does anyone make flange type yokes that would bolt to a Dana 300 to make the Toyota driveshafts work, or do I need to make custom drivelines?  Any help here would be sweet!
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Re: Chevy V8 swap questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2005, 10:48:45 AM »
ok  i did my small block chevy by my self in a few days, so here goes, you'll need to call advance adapters for the motor mnts, then u need to get a radiator and fan, i went wiht the doul 12inch flex-a-lite fans, and howe racing aluminum radiator
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »
i think most later style chevy bellhousings(like 1980s) had a hydraulic clutch.  if it were me, i'd go the safest route and buy a lakewood scattershield bellhousing.  probably would never happen, but it'd be some extra peace of mind.

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »
there is some one who makes the flanges for the drivelines but im not sure who.  im try ing to find them for a buddy were puting toy axels in his cj7 with a dana 300.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

AJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »
Hey if your lookin for a runnin 350 i have one cheap.

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:05:06 PM »
Hey if your lookin for a runnin 350 i have one cheap.
where are you at i need one in wa
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »
Just got an email from a guy named Jesse that makes them.  99.00 each.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2005, 06:29:01 AM »
The AA engine mounts are Ford flat head rubber parts. Can buy those from Metro Molded Parts. Personally, I wouldn't use them. I'd go with the  Autofab mounts http://autofab.com/stockv8.htm. They are more $$, but they are also a far better design and might possibly bolt in..
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

dj

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 519
  • Member since Apr '04
  • whoops
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:42:34 AM »
 :think: I did my v8 myself, I built my moumts, they bolt to factory perches on a toyota frame and use chevy early v8 motor mount
for the rubber portion $8.00 each, however I would reccomend northwest offroad motor mounts they are fully bolt in and can be mounted in several different ways and are easy to adjust. bellhousing in 1980's chevys are for a hyd. clutch, they are aluminium and the slave cylinder takes up a lot of space. use an early cast iron bellhousing and buy the AA landcruiser clutch slave cyl. adapter it held in places by the bellhousing to engine bolts. and allows you to use an fj40 slave cylinder which is of higher quality and more compact. You will have to also use an fj40 master cylinderbecause the one for the truck is not big enough. this will only require minimal modifications to fit (drill holes in firewall out). What year are you putting it in, this is hard to do in a pre 84 truck because the heater box is where the shifter will come thruogh the floor, in an 84-88 you have to remove the porition of the dash where the radio goes but it can be trimmed out to look ok. consider an automatic it is a lot easier. if you need ideas or pics just let me know.
Toyota + Chevrolet = Toylet
82 toylet
400hp of birfield destructing fun

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2005, 11:03:37 AM »
if ur looking for a 350- chev  pick up a buy N sell, thairs tons of them in there,   go with the AA motor mnts, and use ur stock 5 speed, if ur smart about it, it will hold up jus fine, and the 5 speed is rly fun, u can shift hella fast
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2005, 05:00:05 PM »
I'd have to agee with DJ on this stuff. The AL chevy bellhousing is not used much due to strength issues. And on the d300-Toy adapters, High Angle Drivelines in Paradise, CA has them and my guess is that is was Jesse the owner who e-mailed ya.  :thumbs:
"between projects"