Author Topic: How Lightly?  (Read 1390 times)

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
How Lightly?
« on: Mar 23, 2005, 09:44:24 PM »
Just a thought, but after reading some other posts I decided to ask a question.

We all(most) claim to Tread Lightly! and fight to keep trails open.  I think thats great.  On the other hand, we all mod our trucks in ways most can't claim that emmisions aren't effected.  So, is emissions compliance part of the "Tread Lightly!" thought process?  Not that it is part of the Tread Lightly! campaign, but something we should think about at the same time? 

My 84 was bone stock when I bought it, had 2 of the gazillion smog devices on it when I drove it, and wouldn't pass smog when I sold it.  I wheeled it just the same. (spark advance, canister purge, and pcv were the only smog devices on it when I ran it)

Now I think of BigMike's pickup, that he converted from a 22r to a clean smogable reliable 3RZ.

I've also read some posts lately about clean running propane kits for toyotas.

Anyway, spin that one around for a bit and post up your thoughts

NUb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
Re: How Lightly?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
I think that it would be cool if everyone one would do that. and I am shure everyone wants to do that aswell but it just wont happen. People just dont have the money and the State dosent help either with all their regulations. I think there should be some kind of taxbreak or some kind of incentive for people who swith to more cleaner engines with better fuel control. Most of the engines now have more power are cleaner and more fuel efficient.
I would Take my truck offroad but then it would get dirty

94 exta cab 84 frame
4.88 electrics w/duals and 35's
Tacoma bed?

Uncle Jesse [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:03:22 PM »
True, you have to be either financially set or innovative.  On the other hand, I'm also talking just making stock engines more efficient.  that means proper tune and things of the like.  Also keeping in mind that the engine was designed, in most cases, with smog controls operative. 

Also, that reminds me of a dude I used to know that had a datsun 510 sedan.  Thats right.  He had swapped from the stock engine to I believe a 2 litre, dual carbs, moderate cam, header, exhaust . . .  He eventually put in a little taller gears.  He could then drive at 70 all day long getting 40 MPG.  From a late 60's car.  So even hot rodded engines can be efficient.  I think research of the parts you install has a lot to do with it. 

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:56:43 AM »
I have noticed that most complaints from the non-off road crowd like backpackers and mountain bikers, is the noise some trucks make.  Some guys run flowmaster, glasspacks etc... or hardly any muffler at all and it simply annoys the crap out of anyone in the area. When I go backpacking I love seeing a bunch or rigs scratch there way up a trial, but I definatley do not want to hear it echoing throughout the valley. As for emissions they have already outlawed 2 strokes in many lakes in CA. The noise pollution was also a problem. 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:06:38 AM »
I've got a flowmaster, and that thing is loud.  I wouldnt mind quieting it down some, but i dont have the money at the moment, or the time.  As for proper tunes and stuff, I would say that a good number of peoples vehicles are fairly decent smog wise.  Their truck is gonna be in decent running shape for the most part, because no one wants to get stranded by a broken down truck, and a lot of people run street legal rigs on the trails which means it has to pass some sort of smog inspection (at least in CA)  I know there are mods made and then changed back between smog checks, but even so, the changes usually arent too terribly drastic, otherwise it would be too difficult to change back to comply.

There are some problems, but I would say that a good number of folks respect the environment, bothe the ground and the air.  :twocents:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent