Author Topic: Tread lightly???  (Read 2243 times)

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
Tread lightly???
« on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:48:54 AM »
So I went out to the Proroc comp. yesterday. It was fun some good trucks and good courses. Talked to a lot of people and a lot of them where new to this sport first time out to this etc..... So we a watching this guy drive up to a course gate and he just mows down a plant. Then another team was running around in there lifted golf cart and mowed down the same plant, and the both had beers in there hands. ??? Now I am not a tree :love: but is this the example we want the "pro" :driving: to set to people who just come out and watch. Offroder's already have a bad reputation with the tree  :love: about destroying the desert.  One day the wrong crowd will be there and will have a hay day. I know I don't go out of my way to run over plants, I just want our 4-wheeling areas to stay open for us to enjoy.  I know there isn't a lot of trails to the course's but there is enough room between the bushes to avoid them.  Now that off my :soapbox: the competition was a blast. Now after this post I hope I don't have to  :sofa: when ever I go out :)

Should have put this on the off topic board :bolt: :_oops: Sorry just a newbie
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2005, 09:08:39 AM by Losekannon »

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
Re: Tread lightly???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2005, 09:48:10 AM »
I would expect that from some high school weekend wheelers, but not at a competition.  You dont have to hide every time you go out.  If I saw it I would have told them exactly what you posted.  So what if they dont like it, or you.  Im not going to kiss anyones a** or not speak my mind just because they are a "professional" wheeler and Im not.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2005, 11:15:15 AM »
Alll you can really do is set an example to others while you are out there.  I some one like that is driving around with a beer in there hands chances are they wont listen to anyone anyway because they have had to much to drink.  With any luck that person will drive there golf cart into a rock or flip it over then maybe they will think twice the next time they are out.  I think that yor are right we do need tobe careful, the tree people are looking for any reason to stop us from doing what we do. :beerchug:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2005, 11:57:37 AM »
 :tantrum:  What we need to do is get this to the prorock website! I have been to many prorock and calrock events and it seems like every prorock event is very unorganized! The prorock officals need to know that when they hold an event like this they, if they want to or not, are responsable for what is going on with there drivers and spectators. I know that they can't watch everything and we have to take responsability for ourselves but somthing like plowing through bushes and trees rite in front of a gate is just sad. Well I hope I dont sound to :rivers: and like loosekannon I not a tree  :love: I just want to be able to go 4x next week without be kicked out!!!!

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:51:47 PM »
Same thing happened at a Calrocks event I went to last year.  A buggy just mowed over some bushes and a relatively big pine tree.  A spectator yelled out "tread lightly!" and the course official said it's private land so it's ok and they document every oil spill and clean it up. 

It still didn't look good and is not good for the sport.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:28:18 PM »
My self and other members here saw lots of drinking and wheeling at this past weekends TDS event. We had a blast, however it was amazing how many idiots baja through camp with beers in there cup holders. I know this was not a competition, but it was my first event and if I happened to be new to the wheeling thing, I would definately not be impressed. No trees at TDS but lots of Kids playing etc... 

Your right. Unfourtunately it matters not if this privately owned or not, lobbyists can still use any form of land and vegitation abuse as ammo when the time comes to sign in new laws.  This state (CA)  is doomed anyway due to overpopulation, there are many groups out there improving the trials, educating etc....but there are simply way tooo many idiots with 4x4's. I know because I used to be one of them, when I was stationed In England I went ripping through a nice little pasture, with plants, etc.....spun a few donuts...I didnt even realize I did anything stupid till my friend said something. I just simply did not realize the damage and attention it gets from the wrong people. The Rubicon trail is a primary example, the writing is on the wall. I think the best way is do like some of you said and just speak up, whenever we see some dummy plow over a pine etc.... the only way we can avoid the tree huggers is to become tree hugging wheelers ourselves. I know that s%cks but as long as were showing effort, they should stay out of our business.    Glad you brought that up, it should be discussed more often. 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2005, 08:28:32 AM »
. the only way we can avoid the tree huggers is to become tree hugging wheelers ourselves. I know that s%cks but as long as were showing effort, they should stay out of our business. Glad you brought that up, it should be discussed more often.

loving the trees dosen't suck, the mountains wouldn't be nearly so nice without trees! we do need more tree AND trail advocates  in our activities. its the only way to keep the trails open.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2005, 01:31:54 PM »
 :thumbs:

Loosekannon [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »
Glad to hear that you all feel the same. :biggthumpup:  Like ROBINHOOD4X4, I also yelled "What happened to TREAD LIGHTLY??" But everyone around me just looked at me like I was nuts.   :hammerhead:

GUYWITHUGLYYOTA    Sorry to here about your accident on 395,  looked like you were getting your truck together pretty good too. Good thing you made it with only a few scratches. Good luck with your next truck.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2005, 06:18:52 PM by Losekannon »

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:21:26 PM »
Yeah unfourtunately you can be viewed as a party pooper if you make comments like that. But I would have done the same thing. Who gives a crap what they think ya know?....they will understand the importance of tread lightly when the entrance to there local trail is bulldozed shut because a few idiots deemed it necessary to plow over a few christmas trees. Its the big picture they dont see, and little things like that will only make the enviornmentalists case against us stronger. How many video cameras were there? All it takes is the wrong person to watch something like that. Im off to Alaska, and I have heard that even up there they are trying to regulate trail use to some extent. mainly because of the large amount of abandoned vehicles etc....