Author Topic: Scratch build.  (Read 1599 times)

ironspoke

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Scratch build.
« on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
 :turtle: Hi, Since I just now registered after lurking a bit and prompted to post here it goes. I want to scratch build a Toyota first gen (ish). That is to say I like the early body looks but perfectly willing to use any gen components where rubber meets the rocks & etc. I am very much looking forward to learning what components, parts & etc. Members find to be the best and from what year, models & etc. Always liked old cars, trucks & bikes since a kid and have a bit of a junkyard also worked in various machining & fabrication type of jobs.             The bodywork and paint are rewarding as well so I am gonna do this project.   I am a total newb to posting anything much and am always hoping that I have researched enough to avoid asking tired questions  so please forgive if I slip up because I do get caught up in this way over My head at times. Very glad to be here and again looking forward to hearing what everybody thinks about this and more!!   Tim

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Scratch build.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Welcome to Marlin.
Posting up what you plan to do/want to do with the rig will let us know the direction your build needs to go.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

ironspoke [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Welcome to Marlin.
Posting up what you plan to do/want to do with the rig will let us know the direction your build needs to go.

Thanks, Trying to build for a variety  of trail systems in North GA with some rocky tight trails with hard pack and some rocky creek beds to explore.  Around South GA ( where I live ) there's a lot of bogging but if I go through a lot of mud its because I reeaaalllyyy want to fish the pond on the other side!!!! There are a lot of sandy loamy trails here and all down into FL that are not really muddy and lead to all kind great places to explore. I will backtrack a bit and point out that most I have done is dirt bikes and have covered a small fraction of what there is. So this will be My first well built 4x4 ( had a 1972 landcruiser for a short while and then sold :smack: :smack: ) Mostly what I am looking to build would be moderate with 33's to 35's and mild lift fenders that will be cutout and reformed / finished to reduce need for more lift. I have a 1978 Toyota mini rv on trade and with the camper unit removed has an open back of cab so with the bed I located could be fabricated into a 1978 Trekker type of deal and mounted onto any number 4x4 chassis around here. The one I like best so far is a 1983 Toyota ( but listed as a 1984? ) longbed 4x4 complete but really rough body and that is right where I am right this minute is trying to find which year models had the most robust tranny's & t-cases, etc. I like the idea though of a frame and bare housings to just replace, rebuild & upgrade the whole thing to as new as possible after seeing just some of what You guys can do with these trucks even though My usage of it will not often involve extreme anything. I hope rambling a bit was at least some useful info  :beer: :beer:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
The '84 was likely built in '83, unless it looks similar to the '78 Rv cab and fenders.  It will work for your plans, but then again any Toyota will from '79-first gen Tacoma.

As far as the best combo of what, it really doesn't matter if you are willing/capable to do the work, rigs and components from '79-'95 are almost virtually interchangeable when it comes to the drive train, and due to the aftermarket, you can run other engines with the older trans and t-cases, so it really comes down to your taste of body styles.  IMO, the best all around combo of the 1st three gens(w/22r series of engines) would be the 3rd gens('89-'95').  They are larger than the 1st two gens, had the highest rated HP 22re, more amenities/better quality interior, granted they were only available here in the U.S. with IFS, but the IFS suspension will handle most terrains, and you can always swap in a SA if/when you want to.

With your plans to cut sheet metal, you could possible run 33's in all 3 gens depending on the tire width/rim offset combinations, and should be able to run 32's with little to no sheet metal cutting.

If you plan to do a lot of long highway driving or a lot of high speed driving dirt/gravel/forest service roads, the IFS will give you a more comfortable ride than the SA.

I would recommend test driving any version of Toyota in your desired price range, than pick the one you like the best.

Turning the '78 into a trekker is doable, it just depends on your time frame for getting it done.  You might want to pick up another 4x4 and use it as a test mule so you can tailor the '78 build to meet the type of wheeling you do.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod