Author Topic: Trans / shifter / speedo problems  (Read 1276 times)

55reasons

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Trans / shifter / speedo problems
« on: Jul 02, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
Sorry for putting this up as post number one, but I'm in a bind.
I have a few issues with my 93 4runner and currently the tranny / shifter issues are almost critical to the point of not being able to drive it.

The 4runner has had a SAS (which the axle needs a complete rebuild, camber is jacked all of sudden, it wanders all over the road, and "CLINKS" when turning), (that will be a different thread in the axle forum) etc...., and it has been converted to a 5sp manual by the previous owner.

The tranny issues I am having that I need some help with to get a diagnosis to be able to order the correct parts:

1.  I don't know which tranny the previous owner dropped in it and I'm reading that there aren't ID plates on them?  I looked at the ID page on here and I think it's one of the W56-? trannys but it appears that there are 5 or so different models (A-E).  I'm too new to this forum be able to upload a photo to assist you salty dogs, so is there any way to difinitively determine which tranny I have?

2.  When the tranny was installed, they left the wires that feed into the speedometer hanging.  I assume there is a problem?  Maybe it's a mechanical sender on the tranny but an electric input on the speedo?   Again, I need to ID the tranny to figure this out and fix it however possible..  ?

3.  All of a sudden (this AM) the shifter has a ton of play yet barely reaches up to engage third gear.  4th gear is almost all the way down flat on the center console.  (Shift lever socket and ball seat?)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

55reasons [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Trans / shifter / speedo problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
Well, the other day, on my way home with a new shifter lever bushing and seat, the problem identified itself.

The whole top plate on the tranny came off while driving down the road.

All 4 bolts were GONE.

So, the shifting problem is now fixed,lol.....

But the front axle is completely F'ed....  Right front wheel has about 4 degrees of negative camber, tire is going bald on the inside, and it's a white-knuckle drive to keep it between the lines.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
No fun! Maybe a failed Trunion?
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

55reasons [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2014, 04:25:47 AM »
I have no idea.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
There is no adjustment for camber on the Toyota front-end, you either have one of two problems and both are common. Bad trunnion bearings or a bent housing.

Tranny I cannot help you with, that is Marlin's job!! :bowdown:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity