Author Topic: New yota ownder!!  (Read 1007 times)

zerostar2410

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New yota ownder!!
« on: Jun 16, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Ive had my 1979 toyota pickup for about a year now.  love that dam little truck.   tired of the 4 speed and 20r though.  ive been gathering information  about a 3rz swap.  never done anything like that before but hoping i can learn as i go. 

i guess the truck is a special edition truck with only 1089 produced? i bought the truck for pretty cheap and it was clean until i added some custom dents by running up curbs and hitting an electrical post lol.  fun times.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: New yota ownder!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle: don't be so mean to those curbs and what did that pole ever do to you that you had to hit it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

zerostar2410 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
yea, thats what i get for trying to annoy the girlfriend by going peddle down and thinking the yota is indestructable (which it is!!)

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
   At least you STARTED with a nice truck. Mine was a Ranch Truck since new,and has been rolled. Not a panel on the whole truck that isn't wrinkled,and that was followed up with 10 years of rust. On the PLUS side,though,I don't have to worry about scratching the paint or hurting the sheet metal,and the truck's so homely it's cute. I'll try to post a couple of pics when I get to that level. Oh-another plus-the truck's so conspicuous nobody would steal it. :greengrin:  BTW- :welcome:
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

zerostar2410 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
   At least you STARTED with a nice truck. Mine was a Ranch Truck since new,and has been rolled. Not a panel on the whole truck that isn't wrinkled,and that was followed up with 10 years of rust. On the PLUS side,though,I don't have to worry about scratching the paint or hurting the sheet metal,and the truck's so homely it's cute. I'll try to post a couple of pics when I get to that level. Oh-another plus-the truck's so conspicuous nobody would steal it. :greengrin:  BTW- :welcome:
   Speed

thats awesome!! i wish i had a truck like that.  It hurts me everytime i slam my door to hard or grind the gears.  I almost cried when i made my dents.

I want to do the 3rz swap (even though i have no idea what im doing) but i kind of want to keep it original since its so nice.  time will tell.  I do hate the 4 speed and engine screaming down the freeway at 55mph as semitrucks pass me in the slow lane haha  :driving:

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
Well,there ARE some options available to you.
Re-gearing it-pretty expensive.
Taller tires-slightly LESS expensive.
Louder stereo-LESS expensive yet.
Find a beater to drive for a year or two,and treat this one to a complete re-do,with all the improvements you'd like. Not even an option in MY world. I'd mess with a little power building exercise for the 20R and taller (maybe not much wider,but taller) tires if it was me.
   Of course there's one more option I rely on a lot;Get comfortable with going slower than the surrounding traffic and know that you'll still be able to be driving your truck decades after their late model money-bombs are long gone to the crusher,as are the NEW late model econo-boxes they were re-configured into.
   Speed
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"