Author Topic: hoops breaking off my frame  (Read 2291 times)

TWP PREZ

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hoops breaking off my frame
« on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
So I have a 86 runner that I bought about six years ago when I purchased this rig it was built by marlin and running strong for well today about 12 years since it rolled out from his shop best truck ever marlin :turtle: :king: it has a front axle conversation plus anything and everything that could possibly be put on a road legal truck enough stuff to make a grown man cry lol and the passenger side hoop is breaking away from the frame now I talked to a good friend of my the said trail gear had some frame reinforcement plates so I was considering on purchasing these but wanted some expert advice first I live in Modesto and have been debating on just driving out to you guys to see the shop for myself and talk yota because I have a 79 that I'm going to be starting in the next couple months any ideas or tips or just anything would be a huge huge help  :bowdown:
86 runner

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Re: hoops breaking off my frame
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
I'd do alittle research and reinforce the hoops yourself if you  have access to a welder and know how to use it.
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

TWP PREZ [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
Well yea that's what I was planning on doing trail gear makes these plates that run along the frame that you can weld on then weld the hoops on to that. Just wasn't sure if im heading in the right direction but I was told by my buddy that is the best bet.
86 runner

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
Were the hoops braced?  Every shock hoop setup ive see comes with two smaller tubes that weld to the top of the frame and them to the back or side of the shock hoops.

Ive seen plenty that have ripped off without braces. 

TWP PREZ [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »
Yes it was all, done by marlin crawler not trying to say this has anything to do with that I mean its been 12 years with no problems that I ever had for the past several years I've owned it I have a ultimate crawler T-case  marlin transmission clutch I mean just the works marfields front and rear arb lockers 4.88 gears just too much too keep going on but I have only seen this one other time and my buddy welded square pieces of metal to the frame then the hoops to the squares but if im going to do this I want it as reinforced as much as possible and was just wanting any tips or sites that might have similar frame brackets/brace for this or maybe making my own
86 runner

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
Depending on when it occurs you may have an issue with either the shock bottoming or extending to far pulling the hoop off the frame. I had this happen and it was due to too much down travel which pulled the shock tower off the frame.  Now is the hoop coming apart at the weld or is it ripping the frame. When mine did this it pulled the welds off and didn't split the frame. This was with the stock tower so I just replaced them with a set of Marlin's hoops and never had another issue. If you ripped the frame you will need to plate it anyways but if it is at the welds I would weld it back and check my travel for bottoming or hyper extending and go from there.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TWP PREZ [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »
Yea unfortunately it is tearing apart from the frame and tearing the frame the truck already has marlin hoops the hoops are still in good condition im guessing im going to cut the hoops off and brace some plates on both sides and replace the shocks with some bilstein shocks I not sure how much the shock hoops have changed since then so also thinking of buying new marlin hoops if the newest model hoops are more durable the the old style I mean alot has changed in the past 12 years same concept but alot more years under Marlins belt in knowing what works better for this new 2014 year opposed too 2002
86 runner

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
Hey if your over in modesto, i could help you take care of it.. Marlins hoops are great...Japanese metal from 85...not so much... Chances are you will need to plate the frame, and re weld.. i would be its just a matter of stress over so many years...i wouldn't weld to just the frame...plating it up is def worth it.
I have a Fabrication shop Called Stanley Fabrication over in the bay if you need some one to do it..

TWP PREZ [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
That's sounds great man have you seen the trail gear plates or would you suggest fabricating some I want to thank everyone that has responded to my post :disturbed:  :thumbs: im going to be busy the next couple days im trying to sell my 92 extended cab Toyota 4x4 it only has 180000 mileson it but I have ppeople coming by trying to low ball me but really wanna get rid of it so I can start on my 79  :driving:
86 runner

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
U know i used there plates on my 81 cause i was in a hurry.... but if i didt over again id just cut em out my self...i had to trim and kind of locate them on the frame.. and i wasnt super stoked on how they turned out..

blahhhhhhhhhhh

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
Also i habe a quick build thread on my trekker im building..

blahhhhhhhhhhh

TWP PREZ [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
Yea I thought that just cutting your own would most likely be best im not too big fan of trail gear anyways but I will look up your shop and give you a call I would be more then willing to drive out there due to no welder or supplies  :smack: is there a number to contact you or should I just call the shop my name is Ian by the way
86 runner