Author Topic: 20/22r help  (Read 728 times)

toy yoda

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
20/22r help
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
Hello, I need some help! About five mouths ago I swapped my stock 22r with a 20/22r hybrid. It ran okay, I always had a little problem with it idling right, but other than that I was a great success. A few week ago it started staling out and refuses to idle above 500rpm. I went to clean the crab and i found my air cleaner was covered in oil. My best guess is blow by gases are blowing oil in the air cleaner from the valve cover. But why? This was a rebuilt short block, new rings, bearings, seals, crank, and honed cylinders. With a 20r hilux head with what I believe to have 22r valves in it, but I don't know for sure , I got it off of Ebay. Can any help?     

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 20/22r help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
what is the block? is it a 20r or 22r block? also, what year is the block and head..... some parts are interchangeable some aren't.....

like the 84 block might be different from an 85 block. and not be compatible with each other, eventhough they are both 22r
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

toy yoda [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 20/22r help
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »
It's a 22r block. It's not a laser block I checked the decking. So I imagine its around a 1982. One more thing, I don't think the head was rebuilt. Could that cause a buildup of pressure in the engine if the valve guides and seals are leaking?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2013, 04:14:31 PM by toy yoda »