Author Topic: Formula toy type cage ?  (Read 2300 times)

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Formula toy type cage ?
« on: Nov 17, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
Howdy gents, I am going to build a cage on a fullsize 1/2 ton chevy truck frame, This is going to be my first attempt at building a cage. It is for some good friends that want a four seat rig they can do some trail riding with the wives in. They are gonna buy all the tube I get to learn my bender.

My question (or three) is...... Most front hoops are laid back like a windshield,
 Why can't that be straight up and down?
 Is there a strength issue or is it just looks?
 Also it is going to have front and back seats, should I make it with three hoops instead of just two?

This is going to be a very low buck rig. They traded a friend to help him out and ended up with a early 80s C10 4x4 with a fresh 350 Carburated, granny low 4 speed, NP205, 12 bolt rear, 10 bolt front prolly with 3.50ish gears open diffs. ( I will prolly weld the rear and maybe put a lunch box in the front.) And four 33x12.50x15 Master Craft tires.

The cab and bed are so rusty they are falling off the frame, It has a clean title so I was thinking about cutting the fire wall off the cab, That will take care of all the controls and has the VIN on it. Here in Ky that is all you need of the original truck to tag it, With all the lights, seatbelts, and stuff of course.
The frame and suspension will remain mostly stock, I have two plastic buckets for the front and a CJ7 bench that might go in the back if not the factory bench out of the cab, That is open for debate.

This will only be driven around on the farm (200+ acres) and down to the locale swimming hole and maybe a mud run at the fair every year.

Any good input for it? Remember cheap as possible without being unsafe. :think:

This might should be in the build thread but my questions are really only about the cage hoops.
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Formula toy type cage ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
maybe this is just me, but I would think you should angle the windshield because then you can brace it, there is no stronger shape than the triangle...... sure you could brace straight up and down with some triangles, but I think that would also look like some hack threw this thing together.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
maybe this is just me, but I would think you should angle the windshield because then you can brace it, there is no stronger shape than the triangle...... sure you could brace straight up and down with some triangles, but I think that would also look like some hack threw this thing together.......

You just might be right! I don't know that is for sure, that is why I asked.

As for the hack comment.....That would be me lol. I am willing to try about anything but I have no training, It is pretty much learn as I go.   Thanks.
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

BPINAZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
Just my two cents, angle it back and triangulate everything.  I think a full sized 'formula toy" style rig would pretty cool. Good luck!
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough. I've got the scars to prove it