Author Topic: Exo cage thought  (Read 2358 times)

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Exo cage thought
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
I am going to put an exo-cage on a 95 4runner.  I also want to put in 5 point harnesses in the front seat. What do you guys think about caging the exterior but not having an exterior tube at the b-pillar (this will allow the back doors to open cleanly).  Instead, I was going to cut holes in the roof and run the b-pillar down tubes inside with a cross bar inside to attach the 5 point, and also have a bar outside the cab tying the exo cage together side to side.  I would use floor plates to tie the b-pillar bars to the frame (sandwich the body between the plates and weld the outer plate to the frame using tubing) and the top of the b-pillar tubes would be welded to the exo cross bar. I would also run  an X sung the inner b-pillars and the cross tube for strength.

If you understand what I just typed (cuz I'm having a hard time understanding what I just typed), any input is appreciated. Would this work?

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Exo cage thought
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
sounds good dude!  do it, you can make anything work!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
i would look up partial exo's   there are some out there doing almost exactly what you are talking about.  Im not an exo fan, but being as big as i am im thinking a forward cab exo might be in order
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

jenyus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
i think that would work, just make sure that you properly triangulate at the b-pillar. also make sure you seal it with silicon or something that has some give to it since the cage will flex independently of the body a little, especially if you roll or pivot on the exo.

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »
I plan on doing something similar but instead of cutting holes in the roof I was going to sandwich the B pillar bar to the roof bar and run A pillars into the fenders
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
If this isn't going to be used as a dedicated trail rig, you might want to consider making the B pillar bars removable using tube couplers.
http://www.desertfab.com/shopping/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=692
This would allow you to have the support needed on the trail while allowing the doors still open when not wheeling, and build the 5 point harness mount as its own system w/o having to cut/weather seal hols in the roof.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
Interested in this.  Some day I  will go exo. I barely fit in my Taco as it is, so no interior cage.  I really do like Matts cage...."undoing a brocoma" or whatever it's titled.  That guy can build!  I think it is here and on the PBB. 

It is not four doors but there has to be some inspiration and education in his thread.

I like snowtoys suggestion.  With a removable bar, tube location won't have to be compromised.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O