Author Topic: Where to start?!?!?  (Read 1377 times)

Jr0mer0

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Where to start?!?!?
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
Just bought an 88 pickup extended cab 22re any suggestions on where to begin with my build? I'm on a tight budget for now, I'm going to use it for hunting camping and hitting the trails but also a daily driver. Wondering also about a lift, or should I just hold off till I can afford a SAS? It's all factory except for some Mickey Thompson rims. Do cold air boxes help much??

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Where to start?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
Welcome!
If I were you I'd leave it stock for as long as possible. With the exception of removing the sway bar, rear locker, bumpers, and rock sliders. No real reason to dump money into the ifs if you're planning on doing a sas later.
As for the cold air box, I don't have one but I noticed as much of a gain from a k&n filter in my stock box as the mild rv cam and rebuilt head I did.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
First off  :welcome:  to Marlin.

I'd just rock the IFS for now.  Get to know your rig first of all.  These trucks are very capable rigs in stock form.  And once you get to the point, that your wanting a little more, then start looking around and see what you want.  I've seen some guys do some incredible stuff with IFS.  Just get used to tripoding out on the trail.  Cause, your always gonna lift a tire, when a SAS'd rig would go farther before lifting a tire off the ground.

And on a budget?  So, am I!!  I've been scouring the ads, and local forums for years, and when something comes along, and you got the cash.  Jump on it!!
I've gotten some pretty sweet deals from many members on this forum right here.  And it doesn't hurt that most of them likes cheese too!!  :thumbs:  Get your parts when you have money.  Say buy some crossmembers this spring, late summer get some spring hangars, around XMas put new springs on the wanted list, and birthday season, put in for a dual case adapter.  This is what I have been doing for the last 5 to 6 years.  I've gotten axles, hubs, headers, axle rebuild kits, twin sticks, clutch, and so on, when I had the money, and the ability to get the parts.  Try finding stuff local, when getting used.  Because alot of parts are heavy and bulky, and shipping will cost as much as the part your buying.  I go to Fresno maybe once a year, and I'll make arrangements with members who are selling stuff in the area, and meet them there.  That way I'm saving a ton in shipping, since I'm down visiting family anyway. 

And as for a cold air box.  Toyota's air box is basically a cold air box to begin with.  The AFM takes in cold air from behind the driver's side headlamp.  And puts it through the filter, past the flapper in the AFM, and then through the tube to the Throttle body.  You can do the AFM swap.  On Pirate4x4 there is directions on swapping the AFM and Battery locations.  So your basically putting your AFM box right onto your Throttle body intake.  And your battery goes where the AFM used to be located.   You can put one of those cone filter setups on your AFM intake directly and eliminate the box, but your then taking in hot air from your engine compartment. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
 :imwithstupid:

:welcome:
Me

Jr0mer0 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
First off  :welcome:  to Marlin.

I'd just rock the IFS for now.  Get to know your rig first of all.  These trucks are very capable rigs in stock form.  And once you get to the point, that your wanting a little more, then start looking around and see what you want.  I've seen some guys do some incredible stuff with IFS.  Just get used to tripoding out on the trail.  Cause, your always gonna lift a tire, when a SAS'd rig would go farther before lifting a tire off the ground.

And on a budget?  So, am I!!  I've been scouring the ads, and local forums for years, and when something comes along, and you got the cash.  Jump on it!!
I've gotten some pretty sweet deals from many members on this forum right here.  And it doesn't hurt that most of them likes cheese too!!  :thumbs:  Get your parts when you have money.  Say buy some crossmembers this spring, late summer get some spring hangars, around XMas put new springs on the wanted list, and birthday season, put in for a dual case adapter.  This is what I have been doing for the last 5 to 6 years.  I've gotten axles, hubs, headers, axle rebuild kits, twin sticks, clutch, and so on, when I had the money, and the ability to get the parts.  Try finding stuff local, when getting used.  Because alot of parts are heavy and bulky, and shipping will cost as much as the part your buying.  I go to Fresno maybe once a year, and I'll make arrangements with members who are selling stuff in the area, and meet them there.  That way I'm saving a ton in shipping, since I'm down visiting family anyway.

thanks. i plan on doin exactly that, i actually read an article in 4wd toyota owner about ifs rigs. they seem pretty impressive im thinking about keeping the factory hight and just beefing things up maybe after market springs and torsion bars and some 31x10.5's and bumpers and sliders and calling it good that way i can keep it fuel efficient and not break parts all the time

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
I wouldn't waste money on buying new springs and torsion bars.  I'd run stock suspension, and maybe some rock sliders. Wouldn't waste time with doing ball joint spacers, cranking torsion bars, or diff drops.  Cause your gonna put unwanted stress on your front end.  I cranked up my torsion bars on my last rig, and as a result, I was replacing ball joints yearly.  My rig has stock suspension with 31's, and it does just fine, and torsion bars are in stock position.  And flexes decent.  Would flex better if I undid the sway bar, and had longer rear springs. 

Here is a picture of me out cutting firewood.

And the prior owners used to have a service body on it, so the rear springs have been worked over, even though they had a add a leaf on there. 

I would just rock what you got till you decide what you want, and save up for it.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Jr0mer0 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
Ya I'm goin to keep factory ride hight for sure all you do by cranking torsion bars is lose travel and break stuff

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle: If you crank them in, trim the bumpstops for a little more travel or get some flat ones.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you