Author Topic: Whats your opinion  (Read 2151 times)

22rMudToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '12
  • I will be mentally stonger than every opponent
    • View Profile
Whats your opinion
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
Was gonna go DT header but i kinda like the idea of havin extra top end power from LCE because my type of wheeling is: See somethin, floor it, Did it break?, no, well stomp on it again. If yall get the picture lol. Also with just a 4 speed i run high rpms on the highway anyways plus i do race my truck at the local strip against other lifted jeeps and trucks. anyone got any opinions on either of these headers? I just want it to sound good plus see a power gain. Called LCE and they said DT was good but only gave +7hp while they gave +10hp. Called DT they said the same thing but i would see a +14hp from the headers alone with my cam and weber. I take numbers with a grain of salt because there are honestly so many variables that change numbers but i do like getting an estimate of what ill get. Called 22reperformance cause they recommend a certain one and they also said LCE. Just sent an email to ENGNBLDR to get the old mans opinion. Im very thorough with my research before i drop any amount of money on my truck cause id rather do it right the first time than have to keep fixing cheap stuff. Thanks for any help guys. I appreciate it alot.
1980 long bed p/u. Spartan lockers, 4.10 gears,
s, 261 cam, Redline Weber 38, K&N air filter, 2.5in exhaust with glasspack. 300 watt amp, 2x12in kicker subs, 2 tweeters, 2 5x7 sony xplodes/

Dont Tread On Me!! Iv stood toe to toe with some of the baddest joes you'll ever see but i never back away. Knock me down and ill stand back up screamin bring it on. My mind and heart keep me goin long after my body is tired from fighting.

Special Ops bound when my time comes

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Whats your opinion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Forget HP. Ask about the torque numbers. HP wont move the vehicle.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
usually torque is around the hp numbers that they throw at me with these motors but like i said, i take numbers with a grain of salt. i just wanna know yall opinion if yall got one. Computers and numbers are all nice and pretty till you put em in the real world
s, 261 cam, Redline Weber 38, K&N air filter, 2.5in exhaust with glasspack. 300 watt amp, 2x12in kicker subs, 2 tweeters, 2 5x7 sony xplodes/

Dont Tread On Me!! Iv stood toe to toe with some of the baddest joes you'll ever see but i never back away. Knock me down and ill stand back up screamin bring it on. My mind and heart keep me goin long after my body is tired from fighting.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I know LC is a long tube. Is the other?

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
Yea they're both long tubes. both cost within like $50 of each other so not a big deal on price and both are reputable.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
I've had an LC which was a long tube and a northwest off road which was a tri-y design.  The long tube gave slight seat of the pants gains, better than the tri-y, but nothing like what you notice from nice low ring and pinion gearing. If you want your Toyota to perform keep your money in the drivetrain.

If you need a header I would probably go with the LC. Personally though I would shop around and wait for a good deal on a used header, the gains are not worth the money for a new header in my experience. You can almost buy gears for the price of a new header and nothing can beat good gearing. I know I'm harping on this, but if you spend the cash on a header you will be like "Oh yeak I notice just a little more power, cool beans"...  If you spend the coin on some 4.88s or 5.29 ring and pinions you will be more like "Holy crap I can use high range in the mud hole and I can cruise up the pass in 4th gear! I can accelerate with traffic now! I just beat that civic off the line!"  Think of putting really dinky smaller than stock tires on your truck and imagine how much you could do smokey burnouts.  That's what lower gears do. If you are running 4.88s and 31s you will have a friggin' hot rod. You can throw a whole lot of money at your engine, which is fine, but nothing you do to your 22r will give you more bang for your buck than good gearing.

I don't want to discourage you from buying a header, I've bought a few over the years mostly when I was your age. I have one on my '80 and I built one from scratch for my 3RZ. I did the whole hot 22re thing with the intake, cam, header, etc on my '94 when I was 18 and dumped enough money on the engine to build another cheap truck...  If I had it to do over again I would start with the drivetrain mods because that's where the performance is at on these trucks.

That old 22r manifold woth the long tubes back to the cat is almost a header anyway.  I would get one of those or look for a used long tube.

If you have vast disposable income then go for it though I'm not trying to be a buzz kill :).
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012, 08:57:54 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
I have rebuilt axles with spartan locker and i kept the 4.10 gears mostly for mileage. I do mostly highway driving going to and from school and work and with the 4 speed my rpms are about 4000 at 70 so i didnt wanna go with lower gears and run even higher rpms. Id like a 5 speed swap like a w56 but idk its just not a priority when the previous owner already swapped in a solid L45. Maybe when i make mine a dedicated wheeler i can put some money into dual cases and some 5.29s  :biggthumpup: I agree though gearing makes a load of difference. My Dad sas'd a 92 and did a 4.3 vortec swap and it was nice but then he did 5.29s with 37s and it was awesome. Had to sell it though:(

With the LC though your sayin it was better than the tri y? where did you feel the power and how much of a change did you notice with them both? Ted from ENGNBLDR had nothin but good things to say for both (He's a freaking class act guy) and said they both were quality pieces but the LCE kicked in around 3000 and the DT was what he used most of  the time for racing. I like the idea of top end but i dont drive at 3000 constantly so i might just go with the DT. NWOR and Stans headers are also quality tri y headers from what i heard but They were both over $500 when i called and the DT are about $440.

I appreciate the patience and replies i just like to put quality parts on my truck.

Vang530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
Quality parts? Stick with the stock Toyota OEM one and put that $400 in your gas tank instead :gap:
Oroville, CA

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
The LC long tube had noticable gain in pull from about 2000 rpm to probably redline. The tri-y didn't feel any better to me than a stock manifold.  This was on a 22re so maybe when you throw a bunch more fuel in there the tri-y would show it's gains more but I notice more real drivability gains from the long tube design on that engine. 
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
Oh and sorry for going off on the gearing tangent again...
– Steve McQueen

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »
Quality parts? Stick with the stock Toyota OEM one and put that $400 in your gas tank instead :gap:

This.
they like the stock manifold the best imo.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
I need a better flowin exhaust to compliment the weber and cam. I have the 2.5" pipes which ill probley get reduced to 2.25" pipe instead. No cat and flomaster. So the stock manifold just aint flowin enough IMO. 

And you're good lol i get told to regear all the time on here which i dont mind but it just gets old cause i just dont need gears right now. My back ground is dirt track racing alot with my Papa before i got into wheeling with my dad so im just incline to spending money on motors more than gears haha.

As far as $400 dollars in my gas tank lol when i dont dog my truck out i can get about 19-20mpg. but thats when i take the back roads istead of through town or havin to stomp it on the highway

Im appreciating all the replies btw guys  :biggthumpup:

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Yeah I've always thought 2.5" was a little whispy.  I usually do 2.25" or even 2".  I have a '91 Celica that actually performs better on the stock 1.75" than the larger exhaust.

Anyways have fun and post up whatever you do.  I love 1st gen Pickups especially '79s and '80s they are my absolute favorite Toyota 4x4s.
– Steve McQueen

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Im still tryin to get my pictures to post so i can show you guys. Ill let yall know though.

And yea i love my 80 truck. We also have an 85 4runner thats getting the kit#3 SDS fuel system (or whatever the heck it is.) from LCE put on in a week or 2. Its more of a DD but my dad loves it and has more money in it than i do in mine since he rebuilt almost everything on it lol. So ill try to get pictures of it and how it performs too. It better do good cause it was an $1800 receipt after everything was said and done. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
With that exhaust set up. To me at least. It sounds like you would need low end power. 4clyinders need back pressure to get out of there own way. Id go with the long tube try-y.

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »
Raced an 83 truck earlier tonight at the quarter mile dirt strip with an IDENTICAL motor set up,  and the same size tires except he had a DT and he beat me by a full truck length. i really like that!!!! I think im goin DT after being dusted that way lol. Wonder how much had to do with the driving but either way i liked how his ran.

I also seen a turboed tractor that killed everyone :bowdown:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

22rMudToy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
Sounds mean in the video. I remember watchin this before when i first started lookin at toyota stuff online. Did you have the LCE? In the description it just says long tube. How much of a difference did you feel. How'd it sound, and where did you feel the power kick in at? I appreciate it again @79coyotefrg you always give me some good input on everything :biggthumpup: