Author Topic: Patches on new tires???  (Read 2285 times)

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Patches on new tires???
« on: Oct 05, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Ok so I just got a couple tires back from having sidewall cuts vulcanized at a local wingfoot Goodyear shop. The shop people said "we were scared of these tires, so we aired them up in the cage." They said they saw and counted 16 patches on the inner sidewall of one tire and 22 inner sidewall patches on another. I got these tires from a guy off Craigslist when they had 99% tread and absolutely no Offroad use at all. (No sidewall scratches at all, not even curb rash. Also all the tread blocks were sharp like a new tire.) once I purchased these tires I took them to a reputable tire shop and had them switch wheels for me, they didn't mention a thing about any patches or the condition of these tires. The tires are not blems and I've not had a single problem with 6 months of daily driving and weekend wheeling in snow and rock. So do you think wingfoot was bsing me or could the tires have patches from the factory? I'm utterly confused.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Patches on new tires???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2012, 03:06:33 AM »
There shouldn't be any patches on a new tire.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »
those tires are trash... there should never be any patches on sidewalls, ever

do not jeopardize your safety, or those of others

as a former tire monkey, that shop shouldnt have ever touched those, for pure liability factor

torn up on the inside sounds like it was run flat, and someone kept driving it.... then tried to hide it later...... OR the shop you took it to, messed it up somehow, and is trying to cover their mistake and play it off
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
I have had balancing patches in new tires. However, usually only one in a tire.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
they put balancing patches in tires all the time.

That sounds like bull crap to me. Whoe the hell would ever put 20 something patches on a tire. No one, not even the worst tweeker with the biggest bag of meth.

Dunno why they told you that, but the only way to know is to look yourself, and with that info, it sound like you have no choice
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »
Yeah, and what's a bigger pile of horse sh*t is that wingfoot wiped the dot numbers of the two tires they fixed for me without consulting me first. Even though said I was going to be able to run them on the road just not 70 mph plus. So I'm pretty pissed about that. They should have told me that the tires were that bad before doing whatever the hell they wanted. So now I have 2 dot tires and 2 non dot tires for my daily driver.
My dad has some 35x13.50x15 toyos I'm going to use I guess though and the two dot tires will be for his trailer I guess.

cencalwheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
Sparkplug is defiantly right. I run a tire shop and the only time we would deface a tire by getting rid of the D.O.T. is because we do not want the scrap tire dealer to sell it as a used tire. You need to call that shop back and ask them to dismount them so you can verify what the tech said.(on their dime) The fact that its your DD scares the crap out of me. Good luck man.
87 money pit....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
Sparkplug is defiantly right. I run a tire shop and the only time we would deface a tire by getting rid of the D.O.T. is because we do not want the scrap tire dealer to sell it as a used tire. You need to call that shop back and ask them to dismount them so you can verify what the tech said.(on their dime) The fact that its your DD scares the crap out of me. Good luck man.

:werd:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »
I'm with cencalwheeler, and we do the same.  I've seen single large patches on big, heavy tires to help them balance.  Otherwise, the shop should be responsible for replacing your tires with comparable units, and if they don't you need to take it up with goodyear themselves.  That is just shifty business.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!